stripped out 5 door

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

stripped out 5 door

Post by Mobi »

just thought i'd post some pics of my new project & sya what im doing with it.

this is how it looked when I picked it up.
all looks well until you see this....
so, within the first 2 days of my holidays I'd stripped the interior & the back down to see what I had..
While I was doing that I thought i'd change the bumper...
The driverside Depo is broken, thats why it doesnt sit right. Oh & the mirrors are off some doors I bought a while back.
The outcome of stripping it is that I'm $25 richer (strange how loose change finds its way under a carpet),the car has very little rust & the damage at the back is repairable.

It'll probably stay like this for a few months while I save up, but the first thing i'll be doing is pulling the engine out & stripping it down & re-underseal the car.

I've also bought a few things for it already while off work, some good supportive seats & an Opel grill.
the seats:
the grill:
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

nope, not bent at all. the tailgate & rear bumper inner bar took most of the force of the crash by the look of it.
Yeah that crappy foam will be gone with some nice rubber mats in its place, as will the graphics :lol:
I did at one point think the back doors were out of whack but after looking at other 5doors I realised that was just the way they sat.
Im also thinking of these wheels for it:
theyre 16" HSV wheels for Astras, maybe powdercoated black.
Edit: the ET is 44, can I still use Calibra brakes behind them?
kaz
CB-Uk User

Post by kaz »

never new holden did a version on the corsa but would be a cool project like v8 it or summit haha it looks to have had a far bash lucky its not damaged the floor pan :lol:
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3650/bannerzg8.gif
taty
CB-Uk User

Post by taty »

i like the seats 8)
beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Wonderboy
CB-Uk User

Post by Wonderboy »

How easy did you find it to take the bumpers off ? I am going to have a shot at colour coding mine (when ever the dam rain stops!) But i am having trouble removing the dam bumpers to spray them :P

Nice project you have there. Those seats are really nice and the alloys are very nice too.
sam13
CB-Uk User

Post by sam13 »

gone be a good project this.
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

Wonderboy wrote: How easy did you find it to take the bumpers off ? I am going to have a shot at colour coding mine (when ever the dam rain stops!) But i am having trouble removing the dam bumpers to spray them :P

Really easy to come off, the rear has around 3 bolts at the bottom, another 3 at the top & a nut inside the wheelarch on each side, the front has the 1 inside the wheelarch as well, the 3 or so at the bottom & atleast 2 at the top (depending on if its a pre pr post '97 bumper). Hope that helps. be careful with the nuts in the wheelarches though, the thread theyre screwed onto have a tendancy of breaking the mounts on the inside of the arch trims.
sam13
CB-Uk User

Post by sam13 »

. wrote: love those wheels! never seen them over here before appart from on a morano i think... or maybe it was on a maloo... am surei've seen them on one of those aussy ones... i think... :lol:

the calibra 256mm brakes will behind not a problem, the offset doesn't really effect what brakes you have... further down the numbers you firther out the wheels stick unless you go for a minus offet and then you may start having problems but ET45 stick out slightly more then ET49 so you have more clearance between the spokes and the caliper... if thats what you mean??

I wrote a little manual on wheels on www...co.uk you need to sign up first before you can view the manuals sections

it is a good guid well worth sign'in up for.
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

Just a quick update, I bought the wheels & got em through the mail today I've also repainted the Calibra calipers & discs, just need to buy some rebuild kits for the calipers now (seals are ripped) & some new bleed nipples. They look good though.
Oh & it now has a later-spec gearknob.
A better look at the wheels:
I was gonna post a pic of the painted calipers but imageshack is playing up so i'll take some better pics of em over the weekend.
Wonderboy
CB-Uk User

Post by Wonderboy »

Those alloys are very nice indeed!
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

some more pics:
The brakes
Proof the wheels are genuine HSV
some info about the wheels incase anyone wants to enquire about em (maybe Vauxhall could order em in)
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

I left em soaking in thinners overnight then went at em with a wirebrush.
I was initially trying to get all the paint the previous owner put on em (satin black) but not all of it would shift, so I ended up finding some old red drum & caliper paint under the house & engine enamel too :D (it's high heat rated should be good enough)
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

Small update:

Ive stripped the dash & any remaining uneeded interior out, ive also got the head off & prepped the engine ready to come out (drained coolant, etc.) just gotta wait till I can get it in the carport to work on it.
I've also got an idea of what its gonna look like now when it's finished, Seat Flash red with the roof & the tops of the doors in VW Black magic, the wheels powdercoated in satin black same as the (maybe) bumpers, skirts & trims and maybe a Tigra scuttlepanel in VW Black magic. Oh yeah & DARK tint (very dark tint is legal in this part of Australia)
All this is subject to finding the cash though, it's all gonna be very slow as i'm increasing my mortgage soon so i'll be skint for quite a while.

The dash out along with the soundproofing (waiting on the elctric mirrors to be wired in before I put it back in)

How the Barinas looking at the moment

What I found when I took the tappet cover off
From what I gather it ran dry for a few months before I got it.

While the tappet cover was off I decided to spruce it up a bit, $40 later its been powdercoated flame red
I know it's not perfect but it's alot better than it looked before.

I'm also waiting on rebuild kits for the Calibra calipers, bloody Holden gave me the runaround & now im waiting till the 28th to get them. :rant:
I'm also relocating the battery into the boot, should finish that this weekend hopefully.
Mobi
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Mobi »

. wrote: pretty interesting ideas... think you'll ned to do a photoshop so I can picture it all a bit better

Don't understand Photoshop, never will....
srmtor_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by srmtor_corsa »

that sounds like it should be nice when its all done...
Fred Flintstone could be me 0-60!!