EML light come on and off, car is jerking, sometimes does no

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

EML light come on and off, car is jerking, sometimes does no

Post by liopik »

Hi.

I have a Corsa Breze, 1998, 1.4, 8v, X14SZ engine.
Few months ago car started jerking when accelerating on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears. I did not pay too much attention to this. But a month later I saw a light(engine with spark, EML, I guess) coming on and off on dashboard. And then revs go up just randomly on neutral. And if I will switch the engine off when this light is on, then its terribly hard to start the engine. And now even worse: car might not start even if the EML is not on. All this start to happen after 30 minutes of driving. When engine is cold, it starts 1st attempt, with no problems at all.
Been in 3 garages. None of them found any faults on computer. Though, one garage suggested to clean the throttle body (60 quid wasted). Another garage suggested to change camshaft sensor (70 quid wasted). 3rd garage suggested to change coolant sensor(30 quid wasted). And the problem is still there.
Then, after reading this forum, I bought a EGR valve gasket for 3 quid and replaced myself, cleaned EGR valve properly. Now, car is not jerking at all. But the EML still comes up from time to time for 10-60 seconds(or so). And the engine starts very hard after is was switched off with eml light on, and might start hard even if engine was switched off with no eml light on. Please, see the video attached. In the beginning of this video I did not press accelerator, though engine was running on 1000 revs, instead of 800 as normal. And pay attention how the engine started.
https://youtu.be/uYPX3wTelLI
https://youtu.be/uYPX3wTelLI[/youtube]

Please, advise what shall I do? This forum is the only way to fix my car after 3 garages failed
Regarding Vauxhall dealer: I don't want to go to them, as they will charge more than the car costs. And may possibly tell me same story that "computer did not find any faults".
johnny
Senior Moderator

Re: EML light come on and off, car is jerking, sometimes doe

Post by johnny »

If it ran better after cleaning the egr I'd try blanking the egr off and see if it cures it
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by liopik »

johnny wrote:If it ran better after cleaning the egr I'd try blanking the egr off and see if it cures it
Thank you for reply. I've ordered blanking steel from ebay and will do that. Will let you know how it goes.
liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by liopik »

johnny wrote:If it ran better after cleaning the egr I'd try blanking the egr off and see if it cures it
I blanked the EGR off. And no more EML light, but the engine still won't start sometimes when its hot. What else can I do now? Can it be injector problems? Or coil pack problems? What would you advise?
Thanks.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I'd suggest coolant temp sensor but since you changed it recently the only other thing that cause hot starting problems is the crankshaft sensor so it'd be worth changing, there's no way to test the sensor unfortunately
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by liopik »

johnny wrote:I'd suggest coolant temp sensor but since you changed it recently the only other thing that cause hot starting problems is the crankshaft sensor so it'd be worth changing, there's no way to test the sensor unfortunately
Is camshaft sensor the same thing as crankshaft sensor? If yes, then it was replaced recently. No difference. :(
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Nope two different sensor's
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by liopik »

johnny wrote:Nope two different sensor's
Will I be able to do that myself? I'm fed up to pay to useless mechanics who can not find a fault unless computer finds it fir them.....aaarrrggghhh :)
Thank you. I will buy one from ebay and come with updates.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Yeah but it's awkward it's at the back and near the bottom of the engine so easiest way to access it is underneath
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by liopik »

johnny wrote:Yeah but it's awkward it's at the back and near the bottom of the engine so easiest way to access it is underneath
went to a garage to change the crankshaft sensor. And now I don't see any difference. EML light still on and off, car poorely starts when its hot. Its basically shakes when I start it, and revs slowly go from 0 all the way to 2-2.5k. And now I noticed that when the engine eventually starts from hot, there is a smell of petrol, even inside the car.
I'm fed up, don't know what to do :(
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

What mileage is on it? Might be time to call it quits and fit a c14se
liopik
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by liopik »

Deedee91 wrote:What mileage is on it? Might be time to call it quits and fit a c14se
its 71k miles. 1998. Its easier to buy another car rather than tying to fix this one. I'm thinking to replace my coil pack, but it the original one costs 150. The car itself doesn't cost that much ))).
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

That's why I said bang a new engine in. There's a few 8v 1.4s and the wiring is the same if I remember correctly.

The head gasket went in my 1l just threw a new engine in. They're not a complicated car took a couple of hours across three evenings
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I don't have enough experience with these engines to be any more help sorry, there a rare sight in a b
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

Have you tried cleaning the throttle housing at all as it could be a possible problem

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
If it ain't green and black send it back :D