Automatic to Manual

Automotive topics & discussion.
vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Automatic to Manual

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

I was thinking of changing my 1.2 16v corsa b from an auto to a manual

Is there something in the ecu that tells it is auto?

I am thinking of just changing the crap 1.2 engine and 4 speed auto box and put in a 1.6 16v engine,box,ecu and brakes from a corsa sport
will i need to drill holes to put the clutch cable through to the engine bay and to bolt the different clutch and brake pedal to

I have never done this before so any advice would help thanks
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Re: Automatic to Manual

Post by mbonner02 »

vauxhallcorsab wrote:I was thinking of changing my 1.2 16v corsa b from an auto to a manual

Is there something in the ecu that tells it is auto?

I am thinking of just changing the crap 1.2 engine and 4 speed auto box and put in a 1.6 16v engine,box,ecu and brakes from a corsa sport
will i need to drill holes to put the clutch cable through to the engine bay and to bolt the different clutch and brake pedal to

I have never done this before so any advice would help thanks
If your doing the whole conversion then it'll be clocks and ecu from the donor anyways but will need a new pedal box. You'll also need a new loom which will get rid of the poo auto bits inc the inhibitor switch which only let's you start it in park. I would strongly recommend the x16xe 1.6 16v as that's what I use and with the bits I've got on it hasn't fallen victim to anything yet off the mark. Was glued to a 20v turbo Leon last night and wasn't even hitting the redline. Such an excellent engine. Have a look through my thread to get some ideas if that's the line you wanna go down and if you need anything answers about it give me a shout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Corsa weapon A.K.A the Scooby Killer ;)
vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

I found a corsa sport and the springs have come up through the ars end and the person does not want to fix it

The engine is good but the car is just rotten

The car I want to do the conversion to is solid only got 37k on the clock and its been kept in a garage and used once a week to go shopping for the last 10 years

i just planed on taking the ecu and leaving the clocks the same because i thought they were identical other than the sport has an extra 10mph

Would i need to take the loom from the donor car i guess its all set up for auto

Thanks
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

vauxhallcorsab wrote:I found a corsa sport and the springs have come up through the ars end and the person does not want to fix it

The engine is good but the car is just rotten

The car I want to do the conversion to is solid only got 37k on the clock and its been kept in a garage and used once a week to go shopping for the last 10 years

i just planed on taking the ecu and leaving the clocks the same because i thought they were identical other than the sport has an extra 10mph

Would i need to take the loom from the donor car i guess its all set up for auto

Thanks
Yeah you'll need to take loom and ecu and the key and barrel etc for the transponder chip to work with ecu. But you'll defo need the clocks as yours are auto clocks so it shows you what gear it's in etc. be better off buying the whole car and getting what you need then weigh it in and get some cash back

vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

i didnt think of the key barrel so i will need to use 2 keys then. 1 to open the doors and 1 to start the car

i am not saying your wrong about the auto clocks but i think its only in the corsa c it shows what gear your in.

it is a 4 speed auto so you just put in drive and for get your left arm and leg it just has a torgue converter

the corsa c triptronic has a screen in the clocks that tell you what gear your in cus you can change up and down. sorry to say this if you already new

I had a corsa b 1.0 12v slow car but good on fuel the auto clocks look the same as the 1.0 once i can take a picture?

I did plan on buying the whole car and taking all the bits i need.

i could weigh whats left it will just be the shell

i could sell the 1.2 and auto box as well i guess some one would want it

thanks
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

You just need the chip from inside the key not the barrel, and you'll want the sport clocks because the sport engines rev higher and with standard clocks it won't read speed or rpm correctly because of going to 140 the speeds will be marked in different positions to 130 clocks
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

Plus it's easier to just buy the lot and weigh it in because then you can use the correct mounts etc. few people round my way have swapped the chips in the key and because your not really suppose to open them up the used to fall aPart all the time so some will change the barrel some wont it's just if you've got it you might as well do it and as for having 2 keys no you won't because if you bought the car to weigh in you just change the door locks and bolt lock too. Easy man lol. With the 1.0 box on mine it bounces on the limiter at 130mph but as Johnny says they are faster and with the 1.6 box will be quicker at top end. Personally I would change barrel it's a bit longer of a process but it's just down to what you wanna do. If it's there use it lol. With doing the auto conversion too you would be better off buying the whole car because you'll need the gearstick and all the linkages and brackets and if you didn't buy car you'd end up needingn to get bits and bobs throughout the swAp. Buying the car everything is there to use no issues.

vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

ok i think i am getting it now.

its going to be fun i work 6 days a week so i wont have that much time other than after work and on Sundays to do it

going to take a bit of time but should be worth it in the long run

I will take pics as i am going and post some up if i have problems

130mph how fast does your corsa go or dont you know cus it goes of the clock

thanks
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I'd imagine it'll not do much if anymore with a 1.0 gearbox, an engine can only go as fast as the gearbox can spin and tbh I wouldn't have thought a 1.0 box could even spin to 130 [emoji38]
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

It's bouncing on the redline at 130mph lol they handle the power really well there popular boxes for the c20ne or even the c20xe. The off the mark acceleration because of the ratios is sick as duck haha

vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

well not sure what i am going to do now this donner car i was going to use is only a 1.4 so cant really use that

could i use a tigra a lot of the things are the same but i am not sure
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

Yeah a tiger is same floor plan and is based on a corsa I've got a gifts scuttle panel on mine everything fits pretty much bolt on like. Engine will be direct fit

vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

ok i new they were very similar and a few parts were the same. so thats the plan then
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

johnny wrote:I'd imagine it'll not do much if anymore with a 1.0 gearbox, an engine can only go as fast as the gearbox can spin and tbh I wouldn't have thought a 1.0 box could even spin to 130 [emoji38]
Check my project log out mate the speedo pic!;)

vauxhallcorsab
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by vauxhallcorsab »

I just had a look nice

i see you have low miles on it too