Coolant leak?

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

Leedsgolfer25
CB-Uk Newbie

Coolant leak?

Post by Leedsgolfer25 »

My car started overheating while out driving, forcing me to pull over on a random street. I checked the coolant expansion tank and it was empty, even though the level had been normal a week or so earlier. The next day i returned with fresh supplies of coolant and topped it up, driving home slowly and keeping a close eye on the temperature gauge. At first i had to stop every 2 minutes, wait for it to cool, top up the expansion tank (which would be empty again). After doing this a few times it stopped emptying/overheating and i could drive home normally.

I've done some visual checks for symptoms of engine leaks and the only one i can find is that the coolant is now a cloudy tea colour. i didn't spot any steam in the exhaust or 'mayonaise'.

I'm not planning to have anything repaired if it's something expensive like a head gasket failure. So, what other checks should i perform before taking it to a garage? Though I'm reluctant to continue using it like nothing happened, the car still drives and i can still take it to be disposed of if i have to, but i might not have that option when it's in pieces at a garage and being held to ransom.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Re: Coolant leak?

Post by johnny »

Try some k seal or similar in it and see if if makes a difference

Could be the world's biggest airlock

Park on the street and run the engine for 10-20 minutes or until it heads for the 100 mark, turn the heater on full at max heat and keep it running for another minute or two and check the coolant level, if it's empty and not lying all over the street it must be in there somewhere
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

And place a bowl below the exhaust to catch the water, if it's coolant colour it's mixing if it's clear it's condensation
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
Leedsgolfer25
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Leedsgolfer25 »

Quick update:

After putting this off for a while I had another look and it's now obvious that it's leaking from the heater matrix. There is water all over the footwell carpet. Previously I had been putting this down to the wet weather/dirty shoes but when it was sunny outside but still damp inside I knew something was up. I managed to remove the interior plastic panelling to expose the metal heater matrix. In doing so I found the plastic tray underneath was like a bucket of water! That would explain the weird sloshing sounds I started hearing recently when driving. With the heater matrix exposed and the engine running I could actually see hot water dripping down from the metal surface after a few minutes.

Anyway a new heater matrix is like 20 quid so am off to buy one now.
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Fun job replacing them [emoji14]

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
How l Roll
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by How l Roll »

You didn't smell the coolant?
coupe77