Dents !!!

Automotive topics & discussion.
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Dents !!!

Post by ronald5256 »

Well my lass went out in the car this weekend and came back with a little surprise for me lolImage
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Re: Dents !!!

Post by Deedee91 »

Agh no way! Is that in the door or the quarter?
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

Quarter panel I don't think it will be to bad to pull out I have a big suction cup I will have a bit of a job with the paint on the other hand metal work is my thing paint I am f***ing hopeless at and it has a nice rust spot as well that will need sorting at the same time I will have to bring it in to the workshop me thinks so if anyone on hear has tips on spraying base/top I will be all ears [emoji4]
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

ronald5256 wrote:Quarter panel I don't think it will be to bad to pull out I have a big suction cup I will have a bit of a job with the paint on the other hand metal work is my thing paint I am f***ing hopeless at and it has a nice rust spot as well that will need sorting at the same time I will have to bring it in to the workshop me thinks so if anyone on hear has tips on spraying base/top I will be all ears [emoji4]
I got a smack in the drivers quarter panel/wheel arch. Was a nightmare! Got the porta power out then moaned at my dad till he came outside and helped/did it for me (great being the youngest although it's wearing thin at 23 haha) pushed the arch out and gave the panel a good walking with a rubber mallet. Then my uncle did the panel beating bit of filler and it's not too bad paints a bad match though so waiting for the summer to respray.

There's a surprising amount of room behind the rear door card if you need to get to the back of the panel for ease btw!

As for paint I did mine from rattle cans and it looks good enough. I'm an amateur with paint no formal training or experience (my uncle did teach me a fair bit though). Take enough time with the prep sand between coats and even before the lacquer goes on and you should get a decent finish.

For a good colour match flat off 6-12 inches around the dent and should be able to get a decent blend with the paint then.
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

Yes I did see a lot of room when I removed the rear light cluster I have some bodywork tools at hand d/a sander some dura blocks for hand finishing and a gravity spray gun and my suction cup to help pull it out and 24/7 access to a massive workshop so I can pull the car right inside to work so the wether is not a problem I am going to pop to the local body shop supply shop and get some filler g3 cutting compound 2k primer top coat and some clear on Friday so I think I will be good to go unless you can think of anything I may have missed I have dun some spray work in the past my frend did show me a few things some time back he did work for a Ford body shop we did a complete strip and rebuild of is cosworth he did the paint I did the welding lol
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Get yourself some panel wipe or other degreaser (window cleaner works well!)

Other than that think your ready to go. Don't forget if you spray 2k get a decent mask and get in and get out till the fumes have died off. Noxious stuff that sh*te not to mention cyanide lol
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Oh and the filler has to go onto bare metal so might be worth a flap disc or soft pad makes getting to bare metal a lot quicker. I prefer flap disc as it gives the metal a bit of a key for the filler to bond to.

When you mix the filler try to avoid air bubbles squeezed it down onto your mixing pallet as you mix should squeeze air out.

Might be worth grabbing a few extra spatulas for filler and some high build to get rid of any final inperfections.

Lastly laminate your filler several thin coats sanded back will form a lot better and have less chance of cracking, shrinking etc than if you just wack one great big blob on and sand it off haha. Think I must of spent 10 hours with filler and sanding before I was completely happy lol
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

Yes panel wipes almost forgot sounds like you have seen a lot of paint work in the past lol I have a small prep tool that I normally use for prep on weld runs I think I have some 3" scotch bright pads in the old tool box I think thay would strip the paint without removing lots of steel thanks for the advice mate [emoji481]
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Only A handful of dents (some quite severe) I just absorbed as much as I could from my dad and uncle about a century of experience between them so I learn a lot. And no worries hope you get it sorted