Toolbox/Tool sets

Automotive topics & discussion.
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Toolbox/Tool sets

Post by JamesT0708 »

Ok, it's getting to the point where I'm fed up of my tools being all over the place and everytime i'm missing something having to replace it as a single unit. I went into Halfrauds earlier and had a gander at all their tool sets but they're massively overpriced for what you get imo. They literally fill the sets with loads of s**t you don't need to make it look like you get loads for your money.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good tool kit with all the stuff that you use basically everytime you work on your car e.g. combination spanners, sockets, torx bits. I want something that's gonna last me a good few years and will have most of the things I need. I don't really have a budget as such, I just want something that's got all the stuff I need that'll last me a while. Any suggestions?
coupe77
CB-Uk User

Re: Toolbox/Tool sets

Post by coupe77 »

Halfords tools are good but I have a trade card
Think it's best to buy bits at a time till you got what you want
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeacotts-motors/611022572351820
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Halfords have a 200 piece socket set with combination rachet spanners
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

200 piece isn't on sale anymore, it's back up to 300 it's still a decent price for what you get but this 170 set is on sale and your not going to get better for less, life time guarantee apart from the ratchets
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

I have broken every halfors rachet that I have set my hands on. Bad experiance with them in general.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Post by JamesT0708 »

johnny wrote:200 piece isn't on sale anymore, it's back up to 300 it's still a decent price for what you get but this 170 set is on sale and your not going to get better for less, life time guarantee apart from the ratchets
Would you recommend that one then Johnny? Looks alright to me if it's gonna last me a while. I can get hold of my mates trade card if needs be
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Yeah Halfords make top class tools, there one of the best brands you can buy, the rachets are abit poo tbh but rachets are consumable tbh there always the first thing to go

I've swung off and jumped on breaker bars with Halfords sockets and Ive never bust one,

Your aswell getting yourself a good 1/2 inch rachet, I use a nelson one and can't fault it, it's got serious abuse over the years and is still perfect
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Post by JamesT0708 »

johnny wrote:Yeah Halfords make top class tools, there one of the best brands you can buy, the rachets are abit poo tbh but rachets are consumable tbh there always the first thing to go

I've swung off and jumped on breaker bars with Halfords sockets and Ive never bust one,

Your aswell getting yourself a good 1/2 inch rachet, I use a nelson one and can't fault it, it's got serious abuse over the years and is still perfect
Ratchet's are all the same, but I think they just take the brunt off the force that's why so they're bound to break eventually, especially considering how they work. I'm stuck in two minds between buying everything separately or buying it in one big set. Someone raised a good point of if I buy a kit i'm limited with the sockets, so like I have to use the 13mm socket with the 1/4 drive ratchet, I can't use 3/8 or 1/2 drive. I suppose I could just buy more sockets though so I have a complete set of say 5mm-21mm for each ratchet. If I buy seprately it works out so much more expensive too, especially at halfords. I could just buy it all cheaper off eBay from wholesalers but I know it'll be crap quality and won't last.

Really stuck in two kinds :meh:
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

In all honesty, your far better going and buying a big tool box, will cost 3-400 for a good sized box on wheels, it is alot to spend on a metal box but once you start buying tools you'll be glad you have it

That 170 set will get you through most jobs though, so it's an excellent starter kit, you'll just need a set of pliers, hammers and 2 sets of vice grips and you'll be ready for near every job
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Post by JamesT0708 »

johnny wrote:In all honesty, your far better going and buying a big tool box, will cost 3-400 for a good sized box on wheels, it is alot to spend on a metal box but once you start buying tools you'll be glad you have it

That 170 set will get you through most jobs though, so it's an excellent starter kit, you'll just need a set of pliers, hammers and 2 sets of vice grips and you'll be ready for near every job
Managed to get hold of my mates trade card so should get quite a bit off because it's Halfords own Advanced Professional line, so I might use the money I save to get a decent tool box like. I'll go in tomorrow anyway and see what I can do, that set looks ideal for what i'll be doing
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Post by JamesT0708 »

Picked the 170pc kit up earlier and managed to get it for £110 with a trade card, not bad considering it's regular price is £300. Well pleased with it, should serve me well for a while. Thanks everyone for your help :)
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

Buying tools is addictive for some I started with a small set and look at me now lol Image
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Post by JamesT0708 »

ronald5256 wrote:Buying tools is addictive for some I started with a small set and look at me now lol Image
I feel like that already, it was like christmas when I bought that set from Halfords yesterday haha. Next up's a decent impact wrench and a low profile jack because mine doesn't fit under the car anymore :lol:
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

Air or battery powered impact?
JamesT0708
CB-Uk User

Post by JamesT0708 »

ronald5256 wrote:Air or battery powered impact?
Battery mate, don't have a compressor and my garage is too small :meh: