Free to a good home

Automotive topics & discussion.
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Free to a good home

Post by Deedee91 »

http://flic.kr/p/qiNq9P

Free to a good home, two CO2 bottles from a club I used to work in. Friends with the owner he said they had never been collected and did I have a use for them for my welder. They've sat in the garage for a few weeks now and I'm not gonna use them.

Anyone that wants them let me know, I'm in liverpool

Shame to throw them on the tip
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Re: Free to a good home

Post by ronald5256 »

Good size if you have a smaller welder thay cost good money to buy but are a pain in the a** to get filled if you don't have a supplier that will take them in trade you might won't to see if thay have a dealers stamp on them as most of the time the small cylinders are on a deposit scheme whare you put a deposit on the cylinder say £20 and the rest of the cost is the gas you may find you can contact the dealer and send them back and get the cash [emoji3]
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Hmm I'll have a look. Thanks for letting me know. I use the disposable bottles too much effort having something this big to store and move for the amount I use it..

Think they're boc bottles..

There's a place not too far from me that will fill anythin with co2 (paint gun bottles, weld bottles etc etc) aslong as they're in their test date
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

If thay are boc cylinders thay will be contract ones I used to have a supplie contract with boc thay will not give you anything for them thay will just come pick them up from you so in that case I would keep them somebody will take them off you thay are good to have if you do lots of welding like me if you try to get rid of them at the council tip thay will not take them as thay are classified as a high pressure vessel (explosion risk) you would need to take them to a hazardous waste management company I have been a welder for a long time and have lots of experience with these over the years
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

I didn't think they would take them at the tip tbh.. I hadn't actually considered where I was going to get tor did them haha.

I had planned to use them to weld myself as my friends a welder for a living too and could re fill them for me. But I got argon mix instead and these bottles are just to big to be in the workshop and getting dragged around.

Ever tried to cut a bottle in half? Been considering removing the valve so no pressure can build up and then givin it a go, the top and bottom of the bottle would make for great anvils
Volvomeg
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Volvomeg »

The green and yellow bottle is an argon mix bottle,

The black one is a basic CO2 pub gas bottle,

I have an argshield hobbyweld bottle that size as i found that the easiest way of doing it as i found it a pain trying to get bottle filled
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

Yes you can cut them in half open the valve all the way turn them upside down as the gas is in a liquid state when under pressure !!! Be careful as thare may be considerable pressure still present !!! Leave for a while to air out you will need a angle grinder and a few inox cutting disks thay are normally between 8mm - 12mm in wall thickness please take grate care when cutting as to not let the cut close on the blade as it will pull the grinder out of your hands volvomeg is correct one is a co2 mix the other is plain co2 (all black) you can weld steel with both but without boring you it will just give you different weld performance
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

I've had them open for a while to get let them empty. Good point to keep them upside down tho! I hadn't considered that!

Had that happen a few times but touch wood the grinder has never came completely out my hands! haha last time was cutting channel when building a steel fire exit a few weeks a go put it between two trestles and cut in the middle rookie mistakes and it really tweeted my wrist when it kicked.

I researched into gas for a bit as was originally going to just go gasless but since I will mostly be using the welder for thin sheet metal I went for a small gas mig with the Argon mix for shielding as from what I found the 80/20 argon was better than straight CO2.. Although I can't say I've tried with the CO2

Would you suggest 5inch or 9inch grinder? I've got both and plenty of slit/cut discs for both

I've also got an oxy/ace kit.. Could use this to make a rough cut them clean it up with the grinder when it's easier to move around. Wasn't sure if this would fill the bottle with fumes and cause problems?

I've never chopped a gas bottle in half so don't know where to start haha
Last edited by Deedee91 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Volvomeg wrote:The green and yellow bottle is an argon mix bottle,

The black one is a basic CO2 pub gas bottle,

I have an argshield hobbyweld bottle that size as i found that the easiest way of doing it as i found it a pain trying to get bottle filled

They're both from a pub had CO2 in them for running the pumps and premix (coke etc

The argosheild bottle must have just been used for the CO2 for some reason...

I use the hobby weld too unless you've got a contract they're a nightmare to get filled my uncle and dad are powder coasters and engineers and have had the problem for years.. They've got plenty of bottle just no where to fill them up!

I would be able to get them filled at my friends work unfortunately sneaking a 6ft tall gas bottle in isn't quite as easy as a 3/4ft one lol
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

5" grinder will be fine I would not use the old gas axe on it unless you know how to use it properly no disrespect as you will super heat the air in the tank and it may blow back on you covering you in molten steel not nice take my word for it as for type of gas I don't know your set up but as long as you are welding 1-2mm between 100-170 amps with .8mm wire you will not notice the difference and mix will cost you more as well
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

ronald5256 wrote:5" grinder will be fine I would not use the old gas axe on it unless you know how to use it properly no disrespect as you will super heat the air in the tank and it may blow back on you covering you in molten steel not nice take my word for it as for type of gas I don't know your set up but as long as you are welding 1-2mm between 100-170 amps with .8mm wire you will not notice the difference and mix will cost you more as well
Thought there would be something that could go badly wrong with that that's why I didn't just go straight at it haha.

Thanks for the advice mate

I'll let you know if I end up in A&E :lol: :lol: :lol:
ronald5256
CB-Uk User

Post by ronald5256 »

No problem bud