HELP: Front sidelights and Gear knob change.

Automotive topics & discussion.
conork234
CB-Uk Newbie

HELP: Front sidelights and Gear knob change.

Post by conork234 »

Hi,
I have LED 5w5 bulbs and im wondering how to fit them and also if it is possible to change the gear knob in a 1.0 5 door because of the pull up to reverse feature.
Thanks.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Re: HELP: Front sidelights and Gear knob change.

Post by johnny »

Sidelights just pull out and push in, leds are polarised though so will only work plugged in the right way but it's only a matter of taking them out and turn them 180 and push them back in

The gear knob is definitely possible, I've seen corsas with different gear knobs but I've never done it myself so unfortunately I can't help with it
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

You can use lift reverse style aftermarket gear knobs. Check you demon tweeks site.
diggerhole
CB-Uk User

Post by diggerhole »

You can fit a richbrook or vectra knob
conork234
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by conork234 »

Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Pull your gear knob off (pull real hard! Try twisting it to get it moving first) I'm sure you can pull the spring for the reverse lifter off and just stick a different knob on top.

There's loads about with lift up incase you can't.

If I get a chance I'll whip mine off tomorrow n have a look
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Deedee91 wrote:Pull your gear knob off (pull real hard! Try twisting it to get it moving first) I'm sure you can pull the spring for the reverse lifter off and just stick a different knob on top.

There's loads about with lift up incase you can't.

If I get a chance I'll whip mine off tomorrow n have a look
Defo cant as i tried a trd knob from an impreza but no joy.
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

How does the Impreza one fit on? Did you try cutting out a recess in the bottom of it for the part of the lift up reverse that would be in the way to slide in? Could get it to fit then..

Tbh I've got a vauxhall gear knob so av never looked at but I might have a play now haha
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

With the lift up when I had my corsa c if you pull the leather gater off from the bottom of gear stick when you pull up the part to put it into reverse you'll see a plastic point lift up to move over another plastic part to be able to activate reverse. You can file these down but honestly I wouldn't as you'll always end up with the wrong gear at the lights or in a car park. Halfords do a cheap ripspeed one which works with the corsas style of reverse selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Corsa weapon A.K.A the Scooby Killer ;)
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

mbonner02 wrote:With the lift up when I had my corsa c if you pull the leather gater off from the bottom of gear stick when you pull up the part to put it into reverse you'll see a plastic point lift up to move over another plastic part to be able to activate reverse. You can file these down but honestly I wouldn't as you'll always end up with the wrong gear at the lights or in a car park. Halfords do a cheap ripspeed one which works with the corsas style of reverse selection.

I was thinking of creating a recess in the gear knob itself.. Like you said you can delete the lift up function all together but isn't good idea, however if you put a beeper in it lets you know your in reverse and will still be fine. But I think if you create the right recess in any gear knob the plastic sheath controlling the lift up reverse will slide up into the recess allowing you to go for reverse. Should be able to use the stock spring too and cut it down if you really really have to.
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

Deedee91 wrote:
mbonner02 wrote:With the lift up when I had my corsa c if you pull the leather gater off from the bottom of gear stick when you pull up the part to put it into reverse you'll see a plastic point lift up to move over another plastic part to be able to activate reverse. You can file these down but honestly I wouldn't as you'll always end up with the wrong gear at the lights or in a car park. Halfords do a cheap ripspeed one which works with the corsas style of reverse selection.

I was thinking of creating a recess in the gear knob itself.. Like you said you can delete the lift up function all together but isn't good idea, however if you put a beeper in it lets you know your in reverse and will still be fine. But I think if you create the right recess in any gear knob the plastic sheath controlling the lift up reverse will slide up into the recess allowing you to go for reverse. Should be able to use the stock spring too and cut it down if you really really have to.
Yeah your right. I ended up doing this in my second corsa c. I used my Dremal on the gear knob I wanted and just bored the hole out until it fitted. It's just a case of trial and error. I would suggest everyone purchased a Dremal. I've use dit to port and polish every inlet on all my cars lol. Works a treat especially on my current b with all the other performance mods it's got. You really notice he difference

Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Might have a crack at it myself I thought it might work. And yeah they're a great tool aren't they haha I've got a portable and another dremmel style from aldi and even the aldi one is great nice n powerful and I've got every imaginable attachment for them both.

What did you use to port and polish? I've got deburring bits but how did you do the final polish? Sanding wheel?
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

A few of us had this convo about the gearknob awile back in another thread and we came up with a few good ideas.
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

Yeah I had a sanding wheel which is worn down so I used it like you do when you wet and dry paint work just to get it nice and smooth don't use a new one it just leaves it all rough

Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Oh right I've got 240 and 400 sanding wheels knocking about if I can't find a worn one might give this a go on one of the bikes to start with.