Aussie Combo B Build

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Aussie Combo B Build

Post by Jesusfreak »

Hey guys,

I've recently brought a 98 Combo B as a run around for work & to enable me to pull my other car (87 Ford Laser TX3 Awd, same as a 323 Familia GTX) off the road to build it the way I want it instead of just keeping it going as a daily...

But I don't ever seem to be able to leave a vehicle stock, so this one is going to be built to look smart without being overdone & be practical for work at the same time... It lasted all of 2 days before the 13" stockies came off to be replaced by 15's :p

It had a Sony Mechless tuner in it when I got it, but the door speakers were totally fryed...

So they have been replaced with Blaupunkt GT splits... I have installed them behind the factory grilles to keep it stealth...

I have a Blaupunkt Pro Comp 10" Sub and Boss 300w amp in the van waiting to be wired up

I have installed a mount for my Galaxy Note 2

And decent LED strip lighting in the back... Hooked up to the rear door switch

I will shortly be building a drawer between the wheel arches with a flat floor above it & space for a ramp to tuck in next to it... Here is one of the runners to show length when extended...

Other mods to come include:
Sports Seats
Sports Wheel
Colour coded bumper & satin black arches
Sports muffler (and maybe side exit exhaust)
Internal panels with tie off points in cargo area
Telescopic exterior work lights
Rear awning

Maybe more... We'll see :) Stay Tuned
Tristan
CB-Uk User

Re: Aussie Combo B Build

Post by Tristan »

Sounds good mate, keep us updated with the progress :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

I agree great to the fin product mate and the updates gonna be intresting aswell :)
If it ain't green and black send it back :D
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Jesusfreak »

Cheers guys :)
Did some more measuring for the drawer the other night... 2 toolboxes the same as the red one will live in the drawer with a bench surface above them.

Picked up the MDF to make the drawers yesterday and was planning to go in early and make a start tomorrow morning... But this happened last night & now I have to fix it first because no one who sells spring kits is open on Sunday so I can't sort it till tomorrow :(
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Jesusfreak »

Hey again guys, sorry it's been so long... It been a busy couple of months at work & while I've managed to work on the van a bit, I haven't had the time to post... So here goes...

Got the drawer runners mounted... Bolted nice and securely :)

Started building "walls" to hold the false floor...

Custom 1500mm ladder (start life as an 1800mm ladder)

8" Alpine Type S Sub running off a Boss amp...

The sub box is temporary... I am going to build a box that fits between the legs of the ladder with the sub mounted directly on the wall between the cab and the back...
diggerhole
CB-Uk User

Post by diggerhole »

Nice to see another combo b build. Must post some of mine
Domwhitex
CB-Uk User

Post by Domwhitex »

Well done on the sliding rack buddy! Atleast its strong enough not to bend and snap! Looks awesome though! Love how much time and thought you've put into it
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Jesusfreak »

Cheers guys :)

the drawer runners are rated for 220kg closed & 130kg open... When I first put it in I sat at about the halfway mark and lifted my feet off the floor with no noticable sag :) they are specifically designed for holding camping fridges while 4wding (which is a big thing over here) so they are uber strong :)

I'd love to see some pics of your build Digger... Send me a link when you get them up :)
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Jesusfreak »

Fitted a new steering wheel today... Picked it up on Gumtree for $35...had it lying around for a while because all the boss kits I could find were $80-100... Stopped in at a wreckers and asked if I could try some different ones, turns out a VR Commodore boss fitz perfectly, despite being a different part number in all the catalogues... Commodores are dime a dozen over here so I got the boss for $20 :)
Won't help u guys in the UK, but figured I'd mention it for any other Aussies on here :)

Here it is fitted...not bad for less than I could buy a new boss on it's own..
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Looks cool man :)

Sent from my Nokia 3210
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

I agree that looks wicked 8-)
If it ain't green and black send it back :D
diggerhole
CB-Uk User

Post by diggerhole »

Loving the van. I fitted two way switch by the back door after I killed my battery leaving the doors open
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Jesusfreak »

Thanks guys :) wait till I get the race seats fitted :D just have to find the time to clean them up...

Good Idea on the switch Digger... I'm planning a dual battery system for mine to run drill chargers and external work lights etc, when that goes in I will probably wire the rear lights to that :)
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

You use the van for work..?? :O because those seats are sexy and will get ruined lol

Sent from my Nokia 3210
Jesusfreak
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Jesusfreak »

Lol... Cheer man... Got the seats out of a Laser TX3 I wrecked for spares for my other toy... They are already a bit worn particularly on the seat... Not to mention having had choc milk spilt all over the drivers seat (should steam clean out ok) because the previous owner had one between his legs when he pranged... It was all over the dash & floor as well :P

I'm toying with spraying them with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint to make them all black so they wont show any dirt so much... Also, I work in event production (sound, lighting, vision, stuff like that) so no building sites for my baby :P just hotel loading docks & parks/ovals...