Corroded underneath car - can I fix this??

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

odon
CB-Uk Newbie

Re: Corroded underneath car - can I fix this??

Post by odon »

johnny wrote:It's not structural yet so it wouldn't have failed but before long it'll become structural and break the axle

It'll cost nowhere near that, I did mine recently and it only cost 30 quid for the axle even if you take in an hour of my time(40/ph) it's still cheap

There very easy to change
It was a little bit more than I remembered:
"The price for the rear axle including the 2 bushes and VAT is £549.72, This would need to be ordered in via our parts department. If you were wanting us to fit the part the labour cost would be £421.20. I have been advised it is quiet rare to need the rear axle replaced so it is advisable to have it checked first of all."

I am in two minds. It's a relief to know it's not structural yet. But It will niggle at me from now on.
I will try to get to a breakers yard this weekend, and see if I can pick one up for less than £40.
If I can, and it's in good shape, I will get it.

The more I look at how to change it - the easier it seems *tries to seem confident* 8)
taurus wrote: The best thing I've found so far is a 50/50 of clean 20W/50 engine oil and Waxoyl. Get it good and warm and spray on liberally.
I will def' take this onboard - thanks.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

When your looking around breakers don't be worried about surface rust just take a screwdriver with you and give the axle a poke to check for rot

Once the surface rust is wire wheeled it'll come up like new with a lick of paint, use hammerite or something similar that won't cracking or chip easily
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
odon
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by odon »

johnny wrote:When your looking around breakers don't be worried about surface rust just take a screwdriver with you and give the axle a poke to check for rot

Once the surface rust is wire wheeled it'll come up like new with a lick of paint, use hammerite or something similar that won't cracking or chip easily
Thanks. I will. I'm having to learn to like surface rust!
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

odon wrote:
johnny wrote:That steel is near 15mil thick, I've never seen it rot like that before, it's impressive tbh because I'm amazed the body is still there

Everything is fixable but it's probably more cost effective to replace the axle rather than repair it

I was going to add: would it fail it's MOT on that? I don't know how it got there, but I would have thought it would have been picked up during it's last MOT (last year) - if it was that bad at the time. I don't think it's happened in the last year. But I'll never know :/

I was hoping the response would be: "That's alright, no worries there, chap"

But yea, I kinda thought it might need replacing.
I've been buying the tools and figuring out how to do it myself (I'm a novice).
The quote I got was £525 :shock:

That's f**k ridiculous. Either they didn't want that job or I suggest you never go anywhere near that garage
odon
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by odon »

Deedee91 wrote: That's f**k ridiculous. Either they didn't want that job or I suggest you never go anywhere near that garage
Those were my my thoughts too. :lol:

It will take me some time but I'm think I can do it myself.

The car was only £275 ... It's not in too bad shape really.
Had to replace the exhaust and front suspension coil.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

If that price is for a brand new axle it's not completely unreasonable, still dear but I wouldn't expect them to be much less
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Had my axle welded up just the other day and undersea led with stuff called raptor by upol have to say personally it's the best undersell there is because it's a 2pac product unlike most air dry stuff so goes like concrete and its tintable too so can have it any colour I just done my sills with it and they came out really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

johnny wrote:If that price is for a brand new axle it's not completely unreasonable, still dear but I wouldn't expect them to be much less

£400 labour charges.. That's ridiculous however you look at it haha
odon
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by odon »

nathcarr wrote:Had my axle welded up just the other day and undersea led with stuff called raptor by upol have to say personally it's the best undersell there is because it's a 2pac product unlike most air dry stuff so goes like concrete and its tintable too so can have it any colour I just done my sills with it and they came out really well
I'll remember that. Not keen on spending any more money this month.