Newbie introductction

Post a little about yourself & also about your car(s) in here!
spottedhaggis
CB-Uk Newbie

Newbie introductction

Post by spottedhaggis »

Hey all.

I am not new to the Corsa, I myself don't drive one, but my wife had a P reg from 1999 to around 2004, then upgraded to a C model X reg, which after the second year failed the MOT, and after a whopping bill of 800 quid, which we later got back because the garage followed the computer replacing everything to later find it was something that cost about 50 quid, she decided she no longer wanted a car with a computer. She got a Mini Rio, 1993 carb engine no ecu (well a tiny one) went great but got ripped off to a degree, so we had to park it up and cover it, got another mini, this time a mini cooper SPI 1994, black, but we later (soon after) found it had a severe case of Bore wash, so much so the emissions machine got broke after her car went for the MOT. So, having a great carb engine and what was an ok shell (so we thought) we took the SPI engine out, replaced it with the carb one, and she drives that now.
Its about due for an MOT, and needs some welding work done, that I think will be close to 1k, and with a mini its like throwing good money after bad, soooo, we thought ok lets just go back to the car that never ever let her down, the P reg Corsa B Trip, and we found one. I went up to check it out, was up for £495, nice colour, 90k miles, and about 5 months MOT left, I paid for it, only to find out later (the same day) it only just passed the MOT with severe underside corrosion.

So here I am, I drive a Volvo S80 myself (I do allot of distance driving) wife has the cooper still and now a corsa that will inevitably fail the MOT, so the first question I have is who in the group can do mechanical and body work, and what do they charge.

Little about me I suppose would not be a bad thing.

I am an IT person, Fibre Optics, CCTV systems, Access control, etc, also VPN stuff, Im also a graphics and web designer, I work in Maidstone, for a US based company, I take care of Europe, middle East and African areas on a technical capacity. I have a ten day tour coming up in ME next month, I plan on a China trip later in the year, and things are good. I love my job, I am a very honest person, and will always do what I can to help someone in need if I can, sadly this does tend to leave me open to being ripped off, though I am not a complete idiot. I am 43, Scottish born (just outside Glasgow) but raised by family in the Scottish Borders (Coldstream)

Thats it I think. Am on Facebook, Linkedin and Skype (I detest facebook but it has its benefits
johnny
Senior Moderator

Re: Newbie introductction

Post by johnny »

Welcome along mate :welcome:

Not had the best of luck with the cars but the corsa is generally bulletproof and when they do go its never that hard or dear to fix them :)

Mine just failed the test there on Tuesday and it's not going to cost 100 to put everything right again

there's one thing I would strongly suggest it'd be to underseal it after the mot, costs around 3-40 quid for 4 spray cans of it and it'll protect the under side for about 10 years, you only really need 3 tins but I use 3 and a half
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
spottedhaggis
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by spottedhaggis »

Thanks, yeah that s the reason she wants the corsa B again.
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

Welcome along to the forum mate hope we can help you with any problems ya have unfortunately buddy i live to far away to help ta with any bodywork you need done and engine work cus im in the midlands but will help you as much as i can
If it ain't green and black send it back :D