My 97 Corsa B

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
CDoherty95
CB-Uk Newbie

My 97 Corsa B

Post by CDoherty95 »

Hey everyone! My names Conall, 18 and I'm from Dublin in Ireland. My Granda died back in April, and left me his car. I didn't find out he left me the car until I finished my leaving cert in June.
It's a 97 1.2 Opel Corsa viva, which in England is known as the city. My Granda was a heavy smoker, so naturally the car needed a good cleaning.

When I first got it.

Beside the dents in the boot, and the fairly standard faded trim, the body was in good shape.

I started off by debadging it.

Before and after :

Then I went out and bought a load of car upholstery cleaners. This is the colour of the water after cleaning the dashboard 3 times...

The dash was so dirty that I used up two cans of dashboard cleaner. Before I went and bought more cleaners, I painted the faded trim.

While the paint was drying I took the badly stained roof out of the car. The roof was originally light beige and turned brown over the 16 years.

I then went to halfords and bought a couple rolls of window tint film. Here's the back drivers window tinted. It's the darkest tint I could find. You can see the difference between the front and back window, and the difference between the clean and dirty part of the pillar trim.

As you can imagine, the seats smelt really bad, so when the opportunity to get heated leather calibra seats came about, I quickly set to work removing the old seats and installing the new seats. Also while I had the old seats out I took the opportunity to lay some new carpet, which covers up the smoke smell and the holes in the original carpet. I know it's not to everybody's taste, but personally I like it!

Before :

During :

After :

Seen as the seats were leather I decided to cover the roof, parcel shelf and door cards in leather.

I heard that painting over a smell is meant to cover the smell, so painted the roof blue before covering it in black leather.

And the roof in the car along with the calibra sun visors.

Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Re: My 97 Corsa B

Post by Barraclough »

Looking good! I have a dent in the boot in the same place. Loving the roof lining!
nath2905
General Moderator

Post by nath2905 »

Some nice work there :)
The Future's Bright, The Future's Orange!

B/B Bonnet Guide ..
http://forums.corsa-b.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=17679

Holidays Are Coming....
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Looks like top class work mate,

Did you do the uplosery yourself? Difficult?

Any other plans for it
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

Gotta say i agree that is done detail hard work ya done and some passion is going into this one well done :)
If it ain't green and black send it back :D
CDoherty95
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by CDoherty95 »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Johnny yea I did the upholstery myself. It didn't turn out too good so I'm probably going to cover it in a stretchy fabric that's easier to work with. I've actually done a lot more to the car than I've posted, but I decided to upload the process gradually instead of all at once. I need to replace the rocker cover seal, and get the rocker skimmed, but besides that it's pretty much ready to drive!
CDoherty95
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by CDoherty95 »

I'm a big fan of the Dukes of Hazzard, so when I saw a set of Dixie horns online for sale I knew I just had to have them. I mounted them to the rad cradle.

Before

During

I was in the local wrecking yard a couple of days later, and just needed to get a tigra coin tray, scuttle panel, and a couple of nuts and bolts. But me being me I wound up buying a set of fog lights off a Mitsubishi Pajero. I know they're probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I think they look great!

To mount them I cut two small slots into the bumper, then using scrap steel I had to hold the lights in place, drilled into the metal bumper and bolted them in place. I then ran the wires into the cabin via the little rubber seal on the drivers side, and used a €2 switch from B&Q as the fog light switch.

I'm just curious to see people's reactions on the fog lights. What do you all think?
gazza_no7
CB-Uk User

Post by gazza_no7 »

Car is looking great mate! Not a fan of those fogs at all... Too in your face for me lol
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

gazza_no7 wrote:Car is looking great mate! Not a fan of those fogs at all... Too in your face for me lol
This exactly, think the fogs are too big and dont like fogs that high up on any car
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Post by Barraclough »

I actually think they look good on it. How much you pick them up for?
rsi-dan
CB-Uk User

Post by rsi-dan »

Looking really good mate loose the fogs thought and get the bumper tops painted black so lows and depos :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
CDoherty95
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by CDoherty95 »

I always wanted alloys, but planned on getting different hubcaps first. I found a set of Wolfrace alloys for €100 online the other day, so decided to get them instead. The only problem now is the car sits a couple of centimeters lower on the passenger side than the drivers side. Would that be because the springs moved out of place when I jacked the car up?

Comparing the new with the old :

During :

And a few before and after shots :

What do you guys think? Personally I think it looks much better, and goes well with the spotlights.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Same wheels i had, think.they show to much brake though
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

Quite like the wheels i had wolfrace on my Nissan but i would change the wheel colour with all u put in they could do with the sane care as well :D
If it ain't green and black send it back :D
CDoherty95
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by CDoherty95 »

I know some of you guys aren't the biggest fans of the fog lights, so if you're one of those people I'd stop reading now.

I had a break in college today so wandered over to the halfords 5 minutes away. I didn't plan on buying anything but came out 10 minutes later with a set of Ring Roadrunner fog lights.
I wasn't really sure where to fit them, because although the instructions said I could mount the lights to the plastic bumper I didn't really trust the bumper. In the end I wound up cutting a small piece out of either side of the number plate and bolting the fogs to the metal bumper which is what I did with the yellow ones.

I didn't take any before pictures today because there's already a few further up the thread.

Opinions? I know it's probably not everyone's choice but I like the rallyish look.