my corsa b sxi 16v

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Re: my corsa b sxi 16v

Post by johnny »

They do look very nice and sutle :) how did you earth the power cable without a relay? If you didnt disconnect them as they could strat a fire
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
corsaez
CB-Uk User

Post by corsaez »

I put the + straight from the battery to the lights with an inline fuse (5amp as close to the battery as possible), the earth went into the cabin, into a switch and earthed just behind the glovebox. I didnt fit a relay due to not wanting to cut into my ignition to wire them to come on with the engine running. I prefer to have control on whether i want them on or not. Sounds abit bodge it, i agree but i like it.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Mine are switched off the side lights id suggest you do that two the only thing i would never bodge is electrics, the last thing you want is the car to catch fire doing 70 down a motorway
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
corsaez
CB-Uk User

Post by corsaez »

So after speaking to a mate who is a qualified electricion, he came and had a look at my wiring of my led drl lights. i explained to him that i wired them differently to how they are supposed to wired, ie wired to a switch instead of ignition. he checked it over and said the following.. Its ok but, a relay would be a safer option, however the way ive wired it is fine, ive earth it properly and the inline fuse is in the correct place. i told him that afew people have said that im risking having a fire by the way its wired up. he said the risk is higher but ive done a good job of mine, it should be ok. he checked the wiring with some device and told me the the resistance was ok and feedback was ok. i dont know what any of that meant lol. i drove 60 odd miles lastnight with them on and no problems.
vcorsab
CB-Uk User

Post by vcorsab »

Cars looking clean, like it so far mate :)
corsaez
CB-Uk User

Post by corsaez »

thanks matey!
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

corsaez wrote:So after speaking to a mate who is a qualified electricion, he came and had a look at my wiring of my led drl lights. i explained to him that i wired them differently to how they are supposed to wired, ie wired to a switch instead of ignition. he checked it over and said the following.. Its ok but, a relay would be a safer option, however the way ive wired it is fine, ive earth it properly and the inline fuse is in the correct place. i told him that afew people have said that im risking having a fire by the way its wired up. he said the risk is higher but ive done a good job of mine, it should be ok. he checked the wiring with some device and told me the the resistance was ok and feedback was ok. i dont know what any of that meant lol. i drove 60 odd miles lastnight with them on and no problems.
Its not the wiring to a switch im talking about mine are on a switch,

Its the live not having an earth of its own your earth is doing lights and live that would worry me, im not having a go its just theres a right way to do it for a reason, i might sound a dick but it would be hatefull if it failed

The realy doesnt go near the ignition you feed the live to the realy from the battery with inline fuse and switch wire goes from relay to the cabin for your switch
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
corsaez
CB-Uk User

Post by corsaez »

Its fine matey, i didnt take it as a go, i took on board what you said and decided to ask my mate once he was available to seek his advice. He did agree with what you said and actually said roughly the same as you. Im going to redo the lights as im alittle worried about how ive done them now. I know the basics of electrics but im always open to learn. I actually want to thank you for being honest and giving me advice, thats what our projects are all out. asking/seeking/giving advice. no worries!!
Is there a proper tutorial on wiring lights to rocker switch via relay on here?
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Glad to hear mate :)

Il get pics of mine tomorrow for you
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
corsaez
CB-Uk User

Post by corsaez »

cheers matey ;)
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Winky face is abit much tbh :lol::lol:

:wink:
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
corsaez
CB-Uk User

Post by corsaez »

hahaha meant to be a smiley face
gazza_no7
CB-Uk User

Post by gazza_no7 »

Thinking of getting two of these drl and using them as mini fog lights? Would that work?

http://bit.ly/19DrCyY
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

They would work fine and would be simple to install
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
gazza_no7
CB-Uk User

Post by gazza_no7 »

Awsome, now I just have to think where I could mount them?