Corsa B 1999 1.2 16V "1-7-11"

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Re: Corsa B 1999 1.2 16V "1-7-11"

Post by scorpiotn1 »

OK so its Christmas Eve got up around 1:00pm, well rested and a cupa tea and started work on car,
Heres what i managed to get done today ...

Replace Rad Fan.
Remover throttle body top for inspection of valve. ( Dirty valve, cleaning of valve needed )
Check hose lines for kinks and inspect for cleaning. ( Need cleaning, gunk build up )

Heres pics while i was doing the work.

Breather hose, full of gunk build up noticed bit of a kink in the line.
Removed to inspect and clean. used hot water and let it soak for a bit. then bamboo cane wraped in tissue paper as a make shift pipe cleaner.

Removed Throttle body for cleaning, if you have been following my project. you will remember that my original one that i had spent the time to clean, the Mechanic swaped it for another 2nd hand throttle body. i think all i needed tho was an ICU ( Il not be going back to him again ) Sure enough this 2nd hand throttle body was stinking !! and needed some care and attention.

After a good bit of cleaning with carb cleaner and screwdriver...
(one of the screws for the butterfly valve disk was threaded so i couldnt remove it, aw well still done a good clean none the less)
After the clean used a bit more liquid gasket just to make sure good seal.

When replacing the throttle body, i seen water in the 2 holes to the left of the seal (windscreen starts bottom of picture) the holes dont go anywhere so i just dryed it up. dono where it came from as the thottle body should cover these.

Lowered the Revs to around 800, as i thought they were running a bit high before, after the mechanic replaced the throttle.

Took photos of the old Rad Fan, can see sections of the mount were broken etc.

This is some Shiney tape i thought i could use behind the center console to help direct the LED light out to make them brighter.

These are the poor set of tools i was using to do this work :( maybe i can pick up a good set in the January Sales.

In all not a bad bit of work done .. Its Christmas eve after all !!
"I mod for the plesure... Not to drive ignorantly"
Garage: - 1999 Corsa B GSI Rep - 2010 Toyota Auris SR
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Yea thats the make shift blank plate i made out of a coke can that time i was messing around with the EGR :)

Also noticed a bit of a rattle after i replaced the rad fan and had done the work to the throttle body, i thought i had tracked it down to the 2 clips that hold the air box lid in place, but its still ratteling. could be something i poped outa place with my knee when working on the car. driver side headlight or front grill perhaps. il try and get inspecting it 2mora, ( never do like how my side pannel and bonnet dont line up correctly after that front impact, and the driver side headlight doesnt function properley when adjusting height etc )
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Ok this time i think i might have tracked down the source of the rattle.
Wasn't the air box clips. Turns out it was a new battery plastic cover that was lodged in this location. dono why it only started making the noise now as the last time i changed battery was a year ago ! musta disslodged itself and was ratteling about in that cavaity marked in the photo. how strange.
Havent got to drive about since i removed it but all signs tell thats the problem. fingers crossed.

scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Nope thats not it eiter, still making odd sound. could be the wipers or the windscreen itself. il have to keep looking.
matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

have a look to see if any tools have gone under the cover where the wipers are.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Im going car shopping today for a 2nd car, as my GF got a new job.
We will probably go for something newer between £0 - £5000, would like it to be diesel, something between 1.2 - 1.4 engine size. 5 door is a pref so it can be used as family car later down the line (much later) would need a good boot space as her job would intail transporting clothes rails and clothes stock etc.

Any sugestions ?
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Managed to get a video / audio of the ratteling sound today. you really hear it around "0:23"
All the hose lines look to be fixed in place and on smooth roads it seems fine, its worse when driving over bumpy roads. only started making the sound after i replaced the Rad Fan, so i cant explain it, must be something rubbing somewhere, defo sounds like a plastic sound. whats your opinions ???

Also there was a light mist rain on today, and when i was out looking for new cars i noticed oil leakage mixing with the water. so i think i need to get this looked at cause i cant aford to be buying new oil every farts turn. Managed to stick sheet of cardboard under the car and after 10mins or so i seen a single drip location which is directley under the bolt in question i had talked about before on page 2 or 3 of this project. im going to leave the cardboard under during the night and check in the morning to see the extent of the leakage.

In these two photos you can see where i tried to take a picture of the ground where the spill was. then in the photo below i photoshoped it a bit, by adjusting the colour saturation on the spill area only, just to bring out the colour a bit so you can see it more clearly.

Also is it just me but does the perspective of the front of my car look really off, kinda twisted ? i think its just what ever way i took the picutre. It also seems to show off the gaps between my side panels and the bonnet.

P.S on the look out for a GSI Front Bumper in N.I , any leads give me a shout.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Them huge disk holders that came with the new windscreen have got to go also.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Another small update,

i think this time i defo found the source of the rattle, when i replaced the rad fan theres only 2 screws that hold it in place near the top and mid section, what i didnt notice on Xmas Eve when i fitted it, was a plastic lip that the rad fan near the bottom slots into to sorta hold the bottom section from flapping about. Never noticed it due to it raining really badley. Only worked it out by looking at the old rad fan in the shed. This should, fingers crossed, be it sorted now.

When doing this work, i notcied my coolent level had droped another good bit below the half way point. Sometimes when i start up the car i hear like water'y bubble sound moving round i think whats called the "heater matrix" is that right ? and is that normal ? i shouldnt be loosing coolant this fast surley along with the problem of the oil etc what would you suggest fixing. Headgasket ? and Crank oil seal ?
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Sigh, that wasnt it either ! runing outa ideas here.
Removed the scuttle panels to see if there was anything under it, all i found when i stuck my hand in under where the water bottle is was a chunk of foam. the windscreen guys probably did that. its really driving me nuts.

This is my engine bay at the moment, fairly standard. ( Picture is a bit blury )

scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Was going to order this crank seal to try fix my oil leak problem, another person on here with red corsa and similar pics said this fixed it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-CORS ... 2492wt_689
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

After messing around with the scuttle today, i went ahead and ordered this... "vauxhall tigra scuttle"
I much prefer the shape of it, think it freshens the look of the car for such a small cheap mod.

matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

[quote="scorpiotn1"]Another small update,

Sometimes when i start up the car i hear like water'y bubble sound moving round i think whats called the "heater matrix" is that right ? and is that normal ?

sounds like u may have air in the system run the car up till the fan comes in with the cap off.
DeanK
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by DeanK »

Hey,

Have you found out why you have all that "yogurt" shi*t around your oil cap and in and around your breather hoses yet? And ages ago when you drained the oil for a service did it come out slightly "runnier" than normal? And what sort of colour did it look like?

Reason im asking is that it looks EXACTLY the same as my car when i bought it, and it only got worse as i took the cam cover off, you should check out my project thread and see if anything looks like what you have and if it does then you've got a knackered head gasket... In my opinion its why your loosing oil and coolant, as coolant/oil is seeping through the knackered head gasket and getting into your combustion chamber and it obviously gets burnt away through the combustion process.

When you rev her, is there any white or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust? Should see it slightly better when you come of the throttle. Also try and take the Cam cover off sometime and have a look to see if its anything like mine looked like.

DK
[IMG]http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt325/KPARRIS-JONES/DSC00141-1-1.jpg[/IMG]
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Worked out today that when 1st had this car it only had 14,000 miles on the clock.
would love to take a leaf outa DeanK book and get it striped back and cleaned up.
Dont think thats bad going, no real abuse, and good amount of parts changed out, be good to get engine cleaned up, and new suspension & brakes be like new. every wee part at a time.