Corsa B 1999 1.2 16V "1-7-11"

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Re: Corsa B 1999 1.2 16V "1-7-11"

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Rear passanger brake, is sticking. Today was the worst, didnt wana force it so just sat for a few minutes in the driveway rocking forward and back to try and disslodge it. il like to replace the brake disks, pads and shoes after xmas.
"I mod for the plesure... Not to drive ignorantly"
Garage: - 1999 Corsa B GSI Rep - 2010 Toyota Auris SR
PRICER
CB-Uk User

Post by PRICER »

brake drum you mean, they might just need a clean out and a wipe down, what you can do is get a hammer and tap the brake drum if they stick on, or if your drives level just leave it in gear and the hand brake off.
TURBO LAG IS JUST FOREPLAY ;)

2.0 16v GSI SPORT TWIN WEBER 45'S AND KENT CAMS :]
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

PRICER wrote:brake drum you mean, they might just need a clean out and a wipe down, what you can do is get a hammer and tap the brake drum if they stick on, or if your drives level just leave it in gear and the hand brake off.
Cheers for the info mate. Seem to be sticking more and more as time goes on so something to look into fixing soon. Still waiting on Rad Fan in post and the LED's
Still need to track down small oil leak but keep geting suggested that head gasket is on its way out so thats gona cost few £££
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Got the LED lights today in post, its almost the weekend and il be off then for over xmas, so best to leave it till then to fit them in the day light.
Heres some pics, can see in one of the photos the flash hit the perspex top and made them glow, so should be good when the power lights them up.

scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Checking my levels this morning.

This is the worst Ive seen it, don't think the cold Christmas weather helps either. Take it i need Head Gasket replaced and everything that goes with it .. Timing chain etc.

Also noticed this gasket, the rubber bung part that fits into this hole seems to be bent back on itself, so theres a gap here.

matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

are you losing any coolant? because that poo on the cap dose not mean th headgasket is gone. if u just do short journeys it will probs just be condensation i get it on mine sometimes :)
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

matty589 wrote:are you losing any coolant? because that poo on the cap dose not mean th headgasket is gone. if u just do short journeys it will probs just be condensation i get it on mine sometimes :)
Ive been loosing oil. i done a full service in November and had full oil. ( if you read over my project you will see where i think its leaking )
Im now running near empty on oil. i don't think its normal that its near empty after putting in around 4+ liters only 1 month ago.

I was sitting in traffic one day and the car over heated a good bit and the next day coolant was empty this could be something to do with when i drained the coolant when fitting an EGR, then when it was re-filled perhaps it was just making its way around the pipes and just needed a top up but i was doing a good bit of driving before this happened so i dont think thats it either.

I got my new Radiator Fan in the post this morning so il fit it at the weekend, that should hopefully help.

Also i don't consider i do short journeys. Monday - Friday i travel 27 miles to work, car sits during my 8 hour shift, (sometimes i pop out during lunch tho) then 27 miles home. that's a total of 300miles a week. excluding personal journeys at weekends.

Really like the feedback thanks for adding to my project.
matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

is the oil just on the bellhousing of the gearbox or all round the sump?
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

matty589 wrote:is the oil just on the bellhousing of the gearbox or all round the sump?
After i wiped away all the oil in this picture, it seems localized to this bolt, would the gasket seal be gone on this as well ? i don't think its leaking anywhere else.
A mate suggest i get a compression test and moisture test done.
Colin wrote:what u do is, unplug the coil packs, take out #1 sparkplug and screw in tester, theres a pipe from tester goes to a pressure guage. then u turn the key to start the car for 3 secs (wont start with coils disconnected) and make a note of the reading. then remove it, add 1 tablespoon of oil into cyclinder, and retest it. you do this to the rest of the cyclinders, you will see by the pressures in each, they should be the same or near enough the same if its ok, but will read lower on 2 if head gasket is gone. the wet test with oil will show of the piston rings are gone
matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

[quote="scorpiotn1"]

i would say that breather pipe is kinked that may be what is causing it its not letting any moisture out.
and there should be no oil there there is not a gasket between the gearbox and engine if there is oil coming out between them it will probs be the rear crank oil seal thats leaking oil in to the box. and that probs where all ur oil has gone if its not leaking anywhere els.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

I put 1 liter oil into it there during my lunch break, used the dip stick to try and scoop out any clumps of sludge as well. Thats good info about the crank seal.

So em .. which one is the breather pipe again ?
matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

in the pic i put up its the one that goes from the rockercover to the top hat on the tb
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Yea when i done the service in November i had cleaned that pipe out and there was some gunk in it.

Managed to replace the center console bulbs this evening. heres my efforts.

This bulb is soldered into place i thought i was going to have to solder in a blue LED then figured its not needed. Same with Hazard light bulb.

Love how the clock and temp display turned out, really bright and clear.

Dissapointed with the center dials tho, i might look into puting the original bulbs back in but buy bulb paint in blue and try painting it to see if it gives a better effect. failing that, solder in more LED's perhaps ??

Is it gona be worth the effort adding the Speedo Dials for it to turn out dim like the fan contolls ? Not sure how to approch it yet.

Also need to see what bulb lights up the Cig lighter, i never use the thing anyway, but if i have a spare may as well replace it.

Also this is the Radiator fan that came in the post this morning. Dono best way to test it, i guess just go on a drive and when engine still running pop the bonet and see if its spinning, it has to reach temp 1st tho i gather. The mount is in perfect condiion. my current one is all cracked up.

matty589
CB-Uk User

Post by matty589 »

to test the fan just run the car up on ur drive just rev it at like 2-2.5k untill the fan comes in
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Plan for Tomora...

Replace Rad Fan.
Remover throttle body top for inspection of valve. ( if thought to be dirty or if im not happy, cleaning of valve )
Check hose lines for kinks and inspect for cleaning.
Replace Speed dial bulbs with remaining LED's.
Give the engine bay a bit of a dust down and clean.
Give car a wash down and clean, clean and hover inside.

*Near future plan*
Buy reflective tape and tape up the center console area to help reflect most of the LED light out to improve brightness and dull spots ( or wire up extra LED's )
Respray windscreen wiper arms and replace wiper blades.
Replace bulb on rear bumber that lights up licence plate.

See how i get on with the above list 2mora, it is Christmas Eve after all.