Corsa B 1999 1.2 16V "1-7-11"

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Re: Corsa B 1999 1.2 16V "1-7-11"

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Still no further on, Car still at the mechanics, has he even started to work on it ??? doubt it !

Anyway as i cant work on the car plan is to get started on the Spoiler. As soon as i get paid at the end of the month im going to pick up different grades of sandpaper, Colour Coded paint in a can, clear coat and primer.

As you can see its a Dark navey colour, dont think i need to sand it all back. Mate gave me advice to "key" it, prime it, paint it, coat it.
Never painted something like this before, so hopefully i can do a good job and not get any drips, runs or orange peel.

At the end of the day it will be a good part to practice on as its not attached to the car body, so if it goes badley least i can spend more time on it and not have to drive around like a modern art piece. Again will be good practice for when i want to paint the black/grey trim colour coded.

Also plan to refurbish my alloys and steel wheels at a later stage.
"I mod for the plesure... Not to drive ignorantly"
Garage: - 1999 Corsa B GSI Rep - 2010 Toyota Auris SR
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Got the car back today,

problem was with the throttle body. im not sure what was replaced becuase i havnt had a look under the bonet yet (too dark and wet).
i suspect it may have just been a problem with the ICU. il be able to check what condition its all in 2mora.

As for driving condition its also hard to tell due to having it weighed down with 50kg of coal in the boot plus a heavy suitcase, sticks, shopping etc and a passanger.i could hear the exhaust hiting the axel going over some bumps lol
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

Looks good mate, nice little car. I too have had the same problem as you with my car, was jumping when the problem first occurred fixed it with the lamda sensor and the MAF sensor, that stopped the jumping but when driving it the car was as you described it, hunting for the correct idle point. So i think the Idle control valve has burnt out.
Corsa B 1.2 16V GLS Bordeaux Red
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

DoDaniel wrote:Looks good mate, nice little car. I too have had the same problem as you with my car, was jumping when the problem first occurred fixed it with the lamda sensor and the MAF sensor, that stopped the jumping but when driving it the car was as you described it, hunting for the correct idle point. So i think the Idle control valve has burnt out.
Yea the cars like a baby the shell mite be 13 year old, but most of the parts are new, and the engine has had no abuse. Only 1 old woman driver before that only niped down to the corner shop in it.

With the new 2nd hand throttle body attached, the accelerator pedal feels a little flappy, and the revs still seem a little high. but its defo got more power now than it did before, more pull.

Glad to get the car back, felt really lost without it. Next step im going to look into is why my Rad fan isnt working. busted fuse or busted fan ??
PRICER
CB-Uk User

Post by PRICER »

it should only work when the engine temp reaches 98 degrees i think it is??
TURBO LAG IS JUST FOREPLAY ;)

2.0 16v GSI SPORT TWIN WEBER 45'S AND KENT CAMS :]
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

PRICER wrote:it should only work when the engine temp reaches 98 degrees i think it is??
Yea but ive suspected it hasnt been working anyway. even after long journey ive poped the bonnet and its not spinning. The front of the car was in a light head on crash in non moving traffic. Black ice on the raod around xmas time a good 3 years ago heres a pic.

DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

Damn, that's looks nasty! Winter isn't kind to us drivers :D Glad your cars fixed, waiting for my diagnostics kit to arrive so I can track down the problem myself rather than paying a garage to do it for £70 each time.
Corsa B 1.2 16V GLS Bordeaux Red
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Got a good spin in car today, the power off the line from it is crazy. cant beleive ive been driving this long in in such bad shape. and its only a 1.2 engine
Orderd new Graphics card today which set me back £300 so i think il put off working on the car untill after xmas. at the most il pick up some Colour Coded paint and try working on the spoiler.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Hard to keep away for long ;)

Was sitting in traffic on Saturday in Belfast waiting to get into Castle Court shopping centre as its Christmas, traffic was a nightmare.
My little corsa started over heating, around 95/96 degrees around half way point if not slightly over it. Of course i stuck the heating on full blast and downed the windows to try and cool it, and when i could had the engine turned off.

As you may know my Radiator fan is busted and i still need a new one. money is tight this time of year but i think after that im going to fork out the couple of pound to buy one.

when i checked the car levels this morning (monday) the oil again was near empty, and i had only filled it not long ago, last month Oct/Nov time :meh:
The radiator water level was empty also :shock: !! and to top it all the washer bottle was empty, but i knew that ;)
Also note i drive to work Monday-friday total of 300miles a week.

It was suggested it could be signs the head gasket is due to fail, if its burning/leaking oil and using up the coolent. or is it just that i dont have a working Radiator fan ??

I checked under the car again to check the oil leak and sure enough it was in the same position as last time
(this is an old photo and oil was only around the bottom bolt in the picture) There must be a seal that needs replaced here, perhaps some silicone around the bolt would help keep the oil in.

I was tempted to sell the car and upgrade to a Corsa C, but then i started thinking, i cant really afford to do that and i know my Corsa B inside and out, i know all the new parts ive put into it. yes the shell is old, but its a good runner, id say a few more upgrades and it would be a great car to drive. If i was to upgrade to a new car, whos to say it wont have its own set of problems and i would be back to the drawing board trying to figure them all out.

Id love to hear people reactions or feedback on this, suggestions etc.
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Also forgot to add,

I had the 2 rear springs replaced for brand new ones, but ive noticed if theres 4 people in the car, and going over some ramps or some pot holes, theres quite a bit of knocking in the back. what would firm it all up ?
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Small update

ordered 2nd hand rad fan and mount for under £20 on ebay.
my rad fan is dead and part of the mount cracked and broken.

heres what i ordered. looking forward to fitting it and cooling the engine while sitting in traffic.

scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Bought a set of Blue LED's for the Dash, clock and Heater controlls today,
When they arrive il get some before and after shots when i have them fitted.

while we wait heres Pics from the supplyers website ... ( I think they will look good and tie in with the Arden Blue paint work )

scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Water Jets have been giving me trouble last few days, not good coming into winter. Driving to work with the windscreen covered in grime and dirt makes it hard to see, driving for miles with the water jet leaver pulled praying il get some water to shoot out. i know the water bottle is full.

The water tube goes inbetween the bonet which is in 2 layers, so its hard to get to it. and the jets are also partley coverd. i poked at it a bit with a screwdriver and the came back to life. i had thought the tube was being crimped on the passanger side bonnet hinge when closed. i figure they must be dirty or clogged.

Any good advice on cleaning, checking the tube line, etc
And post some comments ;)
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

Was looking at lowering kits on Ebay, then took a look at the image of my car with the alloys on. Does it really need lowered more ?
Id say if any the most i would do would be 40mm ??

P.S - i miss my alloys. i took them off and put the steel rims with hub caps on for over the Christmas period :(

Also got pics of the Dash lights before i do the Blue LED Mod ...

Total miles - 54440
Mile traveled since last Petrol fill - 244
Last fill Petrol amout - £40
Last fill Petrol Liters -30.12
Cost per Liter - 1.32

Id say if i ran into the Red untill i stalled i would get a good 300miles.
How does this compare to your car ??

I have been using http://www.fuelly.com to track my petrol filles and MPG, below is the link to my Stats/Account. Feel free to sign up and add me to friends.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/scorpiotn1/corsa
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

** Update to last post,

I managed to squeeze to "257 miles"

Filled up tank with £50 this morning at 1.32 per Liter, - Total liters 37.65 Liters.
be interesting to see how far i get on it id say a good "330" miles perhaps ?