Please Help URGENT!

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Please Help URGENT!

Post by DoDaniel »

Earlier to day i was cleaning the idle control valve and thought i'd clean the throttle body while i'm at it. After putting in the ICV and then reconnecting the air intake, I went to start the car but, it wouldn't start first time. The second time round it started but was very rough and almost stalled. So i turned off the engine ans tried again, the third time it started but was the same as last time but produced a very strange smell.

Upon smelling the car, I immediately turned to the engine off as I didn't want to do it any damage.

Please can anyone advise on this as I really need to get the car fixed as I need it for tomorrow.
Corsa B 1.2 16V GLS Bordeaux Red
LSKSK
CB-Uk User

Re: Please Help URGENT!

Post by LSKSK »

What did you use to clean it?
T reg 1.0 12V corsa b called...Mikey!! :lol:
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

I used carb cleaner, followed the guide on here on how to clean the icv and thought i'd clean the throttle body at the same time. although the engine is running fine now, it took the icv out again and reset it. But
now, it just keeps reving between 1000 to 2000 revs. Does this mean that the icv has burnt out? I hope not they are like £60 for a small box with a stepper motor in and a couple of cogs.
aimable455
CB-Uk User

Post by aimable455 »

Hi mate all I can say is give it a good run and if still persists it say maybe a ICV valve. I used to HAVE A 1.2 16V and mine use to hunt a little then changed valve and then ok. Have a look on ebay I got mine cheap or try a scrappy.
Cheers Steve
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

Went to a scrappy today and managed to get and ICV and EGR Valve for just £20. Also got myself some Mudflaps whilst I was there as well. Think I did quite well. :)
LSKSK
CB-Uk User

Post by LSKSK »

I focking love scrapyards :D
PRICER
CB-Uk User

Post by PRICER »

:lol: scrap yards are a mans best friend :thumbs:
TURBO LAG IS JUST FOREPLAY ;)

2.0 16v GSI SPORT TWIN WEBER 45'S AND KENT CAMS :]
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

Got a problem, went to remove the ICV today to fit the new one, but, one of the screws that holds it in has been stripped. I've tried almost everything and can't seem to remove it. It's in the most awkward place as well making it even more annoying as I could have just used a monkey wrench to remove it.

There are 3 screws holding on the ICV, two on the top and one on the bottom. The one on the bottom is the one that has been stripped.

Any ideas on how I can remove this screw, need the car up and running for next week. Otherwise I won't be able to get to college and work. :(
LSKSK
CB-Uk User

Post by LSKSK »

instead of just taking the icv off, take the throttle body off and once it's off use a hacksaw to turn the bolt into a flat head screw and undo it, then get another bolt from scrappers after
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

I already got the bolts from the ICV I picked up at the scrappy. How do I go about taking off the throttle body? Is it quite hard or reasonably easy?

Or, instead of taking the throttle body off. Seeing as the bolt if f****d anyway, i could keep hammering the screwdriver to the sides of the bolt eventually making a slot for a much larger flathead screw.
LSKSK
CB-Uk User

Post by LSKSK »

Wouldn't hammer it you could damage/snap the casing for the icv, it's a very brittle plastic.
I've never taken the throttle body off pal so i don't know how hard it is.

If you can fit a junior hacksaw blade under the icv to where that screw is, just saw in a groove on the head for a screwdriver

OR you could file the bolt down to a square and take it off with an adjustable wrench?
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

Instead of using a hack saw and trying to cut a screw in a really tight place. Would getting a set of screw extractors work in this situation?
octane41
CB-Uk User

Post by octane41 »

remove throttle body from what i can remember lol:

1. remove the two air pipes on the side.
2. remove the round plastic bit off top of the throttle body.
3. remove four bolts from under where the round plastic bit was.
4 remove throttle cable and pull off throttle body. (dont lose the gasket thats underneath)
octane41
CB-Uk User

Post by octane41 »

take the air box off so you can get a drill at it. drill clockwise on it then put it in reverse and hopefully the screw should come out with the drill bit.
DoDaniel
CB-Uk User

Post by DoDaniel »

Managed to get the screw off this evening and put the new ICV on, let the ECU reset itself and it's back to idling normally. Just need to replace the EGR valve and then it should be all fixed. However, i'm not sure whether or not to remove it and put a blanking plate on as I'm told this increases the throttle response and makes the engine perform a bit better. Are there any disadvantages to doing this, other than an increase in fuel consumption.