Do i need door pods to fit a component set with a 2.5"d

Post anything electrical or ICE here. ie, upgrading your stereo, or removing looms etc.

Moderator: Octane2097

voodoo_jellybaby2k2
CB-Uk User

Post by voodoo_jellybaby2k2 »

Hi there,

Just a query for everyone, ive just recently purchased and fitted an alpine 7876rb head unit, along with a set of ground zero GZRF69 6x9\'s. Anyways, im wanting to update my front door speakers, without fannying on making door pods etc, as im a student bum who cannot afford bugger all to be honest lol. The components im after are the Ground zero GZRC13 and have mounting depth of 2.5\" and diameter of 13cms (i know they\'ll fit diameter ways, but im unsure about the depth, can anyone help me, or is it just a matter of ripping my door card off and finding out)
My brother said on his polo, he could fit them, but the windows wud go down and get stuck on the base cone and so wouldnt go all the way down, although his is a VW and mine is a vauxhall, and mine dont have leccy windows lol.

Or, simply do i have to make door builds?

Cheers
Adam
Dan_Corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Dan_Corsa »

The depth of those speakers will be fine mate!

but 13cm you will need the autoleads fitting kit for a corsa as the corsa door speakers are 16.5cm speakers!
sweet_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by sweet_corsa »

yes be carefull with the comps, Even with the fitting kit, the comp on my drivers side still sometimes touches the metal, causeing the amp the runs the comps to cut out which is a problem im looking into.
Dan_Corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Dan_Corsa »

Does it just cause the amp to cut out?

or do you get some distortion also?

I just fitted some and mine are distorting quite alot, the gain on the amp was set very low also as both new so breaking them in gently!
sweet_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by sweet_corsa »

no distorsion because as soon as soon as it touches the metal it causes the amp to short out.
REALY REALY ANNOYING!
Dan_Corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Dan_Corsa »

Going to have to fiddle with mine see what the problem is!

Installs out at the moment in process of making mk2 hehe hopefully its not a huge problem to sort, but one side not working and other side distorts :rant:

lol...... just glad to see I not only one having trouble hehe
voodoo_jellybaby2k2
CB-Uk User

lol, well i thought that the front door speakers were 13cm lol.....ill just buy the flat based 16.5cm components instead....although ill try the 16.5cm normal components too see if they\'ll fit first.

I should really read into these things first before asking questions shouldnt i....
voodoo_jellybaby2k2
CB-Uk User

Right, i got the components, and i went to fit them, and they are 16.5cms and the flat based cones, and they still wont fit, the bass cone is to wide..... Im debating on grinding out the hole where the speakers go in order for them to fit, as im lazy and cant be assed to make doorpods....ive made some mdf rings ready to do the doorpods, but ill just screw them onto the door and put the speakers in them, then put the door card back on.... :lol:

Does that make any sense? or sound stupid??

My mate also bought some of those £15 coxial speakers from ebay that are a million zillion watts max output and even they wont go in, and the bass cone on them is only a bit bigger than the standard one...... am i doing sumink wrong here??

Ill post pics up if i can....
voodoo_jellybaby2k2
CB-Uk User

oh and also, how do you get the standard speaker out of the bass plate that holds it in? it just dont wanna budge :x , and now ive snapped part of the plastic of it :oops: ( luckily this isnt needed :D )

Cheers any help would be appreciated :thumbs:
coollg
CB-Uk User

Post by coollg »

bass plate, when i changed mine i simply took the old one out with the 3 srews n poped the adfpater int hen the speaker. Are you talking about the actaully speaker as all of what u take of is all the speaker
voodoo_jellybaby2k2
CB-Uk User

Well you take of ur grey plastic door card..... then you got your speaker pod thing which is held in with 3 screws. The speaker is inside that pod, and i need the pod to put my new speaker in dont i? otherwise where am i going to screw my new speaker onto?
tomsimes
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by tomsimes »

You need to go down ur local halfords matey and get an Autoleads Speaker adapter kit that is the same size as the triangle pod and then your speaker screws into the adaptor, although the adaptor is designed to take 13cm speakers! One of my mates with a Mondeo fitted 6x9\'s in his front doors the cones and masgnets fitted in the original hole and then he just drilled new holes to mount the speakers straight into!
voodoo_jellybaby2k2
CB-Uk User

Yer, ive just gone and bought them, my mate told me to go and get them! Just gotta wait for my brother to remove the x-overs, tweeters and cabling from his car, and put his new ones in, as hes bought new, better gz components, and sold me his old ones.

Cheers for all the input

Adam