Bit of an oil leak...

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

kedw200
CB-Uk Newbie

Bit of an oil leak...

Post by kedw200 »

First post ever- just thought I'd include that...

A mate who works at a garage did the last oil change on my 1.0 12V for me. Put a new sump plug washer in and everything was ok, until recently I noticed a few blobs (not much at all- the oil level hasn't gone down) under the car when parked. Had a look under last night and this morning and there is a lot of oil that has leaked out around the sump plug, but a fair amount of the sump is covered in a thin coating too.

Basically wondering (as I haven't had chance to tighten the sump plug yet myself because I haven't got the right tool)- if it was just a loose sump plug in need of tightening would the oil have spread like this? Or does it suggest that the sump gasket (or anything else you can think of!) needs replacing?

Like I say, haven't really had this problem before the oil was changed so I am led to believe it is just that... And in terms of time, this oil change was done a while ago, and then the car taken on holiday, so I was driving it for a while before I noticed.

Another thing- I think I may have overfilled the oil slightly (it's on the max mark) because when the oil change was done we decided to be more conservative with the oil (easier to add than take away), but things have kinda gone in the other direction- would the engine being overfilled result in excess oil leaking in this way?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for long post. I'll try to become more succinct as I go along...

Paul
sammclean23
CB-Uk User

Re: Bit of an oil leak...

Post by sammclean23 »

Not really a solution to your problem, but I have the exact same thing. I have replaced the sump washer which stopped most of the leak, but I still get little drips on the floor underneath the car. Overfilling the oil would most likely flood the engine and hence a redcue in oil pressure, and will cause the engine to stop running. I dont think it would leak anywhere. However im not a mechanic so other people may have a better idea.

Let me know if you have any success because this is something I need to fix
Corsa B 1.2i LS 3d
dandadan
CB-Uk User

Post by dandadan »

Start by looking at where the oil is coming from, you say its the sump plug but can you see oil anywhere else, any higher like the sump gasket or filter etc. try cleaning it with a rag and see if you can see it come out. If alot has leaked over night without the car running you may have a small hole/crack in your sump. Since its old oil try changing it along with the filter, its better for the car aswel, maybe it just needs changing and has gotten to thin.

You dont want to overfill your oil either, it can 'flood' your engine like mentioned above, but I have never heard of this causing it to leak oil.
Drive it like you stole it
kedw200
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by kedw200 »

dandadan:

The oil isn't that old really, I say it's done a fair few miles as in 1k at most, only changed it about 2 months ago. Tigtened the sump nut and this has done nothing, had a look as you recommended and the oil is over quite a large part of the bottom, leaking from where the sump joins the main block, therefore I'm thinking sump gasket perhaps?

If so, how costly/annoying a job is this to do?
donnay1991
CB-Uk User

Post by donnay1991 »

Basically drain all your oil. undo the sump bolts and take it off and replace gasket. if theres a crack or hole in the sump just do the same but replace sump and gasket.
Corsa B 1999 1.2 16v,
Debadged, Lowered 40 mm front and back 60mm,angel eyes with standard rears, Smoked Side Repeaters, Drilled airbox (Shredded). 4" Sportex Backbox with sportex straight through centre pipe. Graphite grey cesaros.
kedw200
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by kedw200 »

Well, the problem as far as I know is solved.

And lo and behold, it was the famous oil pressure switch. After leaking for a couple of weeks the car has lost in drips about 300ml of oil (on various car parks and driveways!), yesterday was a rainy day and I drove for a while, every time the engine idled the oil warning light was coming on the dash. Got home to find lots of coloured blobs on the floor, opened bonnet (with engine on) and the leak was much worse than before, visibly dripping oil and quite clearly from the O.P.S. Hopefully this will be the cause of the oil on the bottom of the engine- seen a few on the forum have had this problem and due to the oil falling down then being blown around, it tends to cover the majority of the block. Plus after cleaning it off a week ago none has had chance to accumulate around the rear of the sump, just the front, under the OPC.

So hopefully the problem is solved! Any news and I'll update you (Y)
corsa1686d
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by corsa1686d »

check that the oil filter is on tight and that theres no oil leaking from that onto your sump 1st