corsa gsi

Automotive topics & discussion.
miester
CB-Uk Newbie

corsa gsi

Post by miester »

im thinking of getting a corsa gsi but have heard there are quite alot of problems with them! what do all of you think?

cheers
jsc
CB-Uk User

corsa gsi

Post by jsc »

iv never heard of any probs with a gsi only problems i know of on corsas is the rust places at the top of the windscreen and on e of the pillars
PaulW
Administrator

corsa gsi

Post by PaulW »

ITs not the specific model, but engines which are funny...

The older GSi\'s with the C16XE (93-94 models) used to have issues with timing belt idler rollers, valve seals, and the AFM packing up, main reason for the idlers was there plastic! If you do end up looking for one, make sure it has been serviced properly & that also they were replaced by metal ones.

X16XE (late 94 - 96) has its own faults too, Blocked EGR Valve, vacuum leaks.

Both can also suffer with faults from the ICV getting sticky (high idling or cutting out), aswell as the coolant temp sensor giving wrong readings & causing a lumpy idle (the ECU wont pick up that its fauly most of the time btw)

But if its been well serviced & looked after, chances are you will never see these issues!

When I got my GSi, only issues I had was the coolant temp sensor giving me a high idle, which I soon sorted out, aswell as the aux drivebelt being worn, but im gona sort that out soon enough!

Main issue, as with any corsa, is check the bodywork for signs of rust! jsc said a few of the main areas there, but also look out for
cracked B pillars,
rust around the chassis legs & lower cross member
rust on the underside lip of the bonnet
rust on the slam panel
rust around the rear wiper stalk

Also, the interior will show its age if its a high miler, and the bolsters on the drivers seat is a good sign, as they wear down badly! Also check all the electrics are working, and if the management light is on dure the run, or any other light (such as ABS, Airbag if fitted) stays on or flashes, leave well alone!
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
PaulW
Administrator

corsa gsi

Post by PaulW »

also may be worth checking with vauxhall about the recalls see if the car is effected

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recal ... &makeId=E7
tom87
CB-Uk User

corsa gsi

Post by tom87 »

well if you were wanting something newer you could go for a 1.6 sport which is just like the gsi but without the bodykit. personaly i would go for a gsi. just put some speedlines and it will look very tasty indeed.
miester
CB-Uk Newbie

corsa gsi

Post by miester »

i also heard that the ci6xe engine has a restrictor on it how do you overcome this problem and if i get it derescricted will it make it any faster
PaulW
Administrator

corsa gsi

Post by PaulW »

[quote=\"miester\"]i also heard that the ci6xe engine has a restrictor on it how do you overcome this problem and if i get it derescricted will it make it any faster[/quote]

all 1.6\'s have this in corsa\'s, basically the induction route goes right around the back of the engine, up the side & through a crappy upper inlet manifold...

way to overcome is to get something like a Mantzel powerbox which does away with all this & gets you around 20bhp+

but they gone bust & stocks are low - check courtnay sport (cant remember the link sorry)
rick
CB-Uk User

corsa gsi

Post by rick »

[quote=\"miester\"]i also heard that the c16xe engine has a restrictor on it how do you overcome this problem and if i get it derescricted will it make it any faster[/quote] iirc the original prototype ones had about 150bhp so like pauls said they messed about with the air intake and changed the ecu a little to bring it down to around the same power and insurance as its main rivals
Katie_GSi
CB-Uk User

corsa gsi

Post by Katie_GSi »

Yeah go for a GSi i got a late 94 so the x16 engine and juss hit 100k and she is running a dream. Considering she can still go when wanted etc n the only problem i have had is valve stem oil seals... which if u no a mechanic is not a problem :thumbs: