TB's & general queried... j1400 - in here!

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

PaulW
Administrator

Post by PaulW »

Right... I\'m really considering this route for my engine now, been debating it since I got the GSi & think its time I start putting serious thought into it...

Been looking at the Jenvey Website for bits & notice different styles or TB\'s & such, like varying widths of the TB housing, trumpets, etc... aswell as 2 & 4 injector TB\'s...

1st off, what is the main difference between the different widths & why is this? Does it help peak power/torque?? I remember reading a whil back that longer trumpets improve torques & such, but cant remember if this is right what i remember...

2nd... what exactly will I need for this?? I know the lower inlet will need to be got along with TB\'s (saw them on the jenvey site) but will I also need the fuel rail, or will the standard one be ok? Just wondering cos if the spaces between injectors differes when using throttlebodies..

3rd... can i use the standard injectors, or will I need to uprate?

4th... What other work is needed when fitting TB\'s to an engine? ie, what other parts? Other than management that is, as I can imagine the standard ecu will throw up holy hell with TB\'s running!

Lastly... Is it wise to do EVERYTHING you intend doing to the engine first, ie, TB\'s, Cams, headwork, etc, BEFORE mapping?? just with running everything in & then not having the engine properly mapped until its bed in & running a \'base map\' or something, I guess this will also cause no end of problems with fueling not being right, etc, could well kill the engine right out before I even get chance of properly mapping it!

Definately lastly now... What kit would you recommend & what sort of price will I be looking at as I will be doing all the work myself (except mapping)

Cheers
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
broster
CB-Uk User

Post by broster »

jenvey do a complete kit, seems good, without management, speek to siberia off corsasport, hes selling my management on again without fitting it!
do everything you intend to do to the engien before mapping it, proper maps cost about 500ish, be a waste to map it then do headwork and cams then have to alter it! unless you know someone whos handy with the software and can map it. the omex siberia is selling has a step by step guide to make basic alterations to the map
j1400
CB-Uk User

Post by j1400 »

for any output engine you\'ll have in a road going car, you\'ll have 1 injector per body.
You want either biege or blues from a red top engine.
Youc an use tapers or parallel bodies. parallel\'s being slightly cheaper and in my opinion better.
I\'ll dig out all my old recepts for engine gubbins, and give you an actual number, a little scary though.
In terms of rebuild and run in. have the head flowed etc... put in the std cams, and run in on std everything.
Then at 1000 or when ever you have a spare weekend, all the fun stuff goes in, then mince it over to be mapped.
I\'d suggets emerald ecu (cause I love them) and mapping if fixed at 200+VAT (£235) and Dave walker is one of THE best mappers in the country/europe in my veiw.

interms of what you want is

40mm parallels
speedex inlet manifold
40mm trumpets
blue/biege injectors
flowed head
cams of choice
pocketed pistons or forged
ARP\'s
oil cooler
new gearbox final
emerald
loom,
coil pack
steel rollers
decent tubular manifold 44-1/4-2-1 which ever
And mapping.

Might have the nova up at PV to show off, but can\'t promise.
rick
CB-Uk User

Post by rick »

what kind of gains do you get from TB\'s over new inlet manifolds and induction kits?
j1400
CB-Uk User

Post by j1400 »

induction kit = 0BHP (nice sound)
inlet 130
TB\'s on a 1.6 about 150.

You also gain a accuctley sharp throttle response, and ladys pants fall off when you blip the throttle ;)
sweet_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by sweet_corsa »

tb\'s?<lol dont know alot woth engines
VKleita
CB-Uk User

Post by VKleita »

Throttle bodies

A replacement for the....

actually that\'s a good point ... what does it replace...

<--N00b also :)
sweet_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by sweet_corsa »

thanks!
PaulW
Administrator

Post by PaulW »

throttle bodies replace the whole inlet manifold & induction system with 4 individual throttle bodies with individual throttle butterflys (like a valve controlling air flow) so in effect the engine has 400%+ more air available to it
PaulW
Administrator

Post by PaulW »

Compare j1400\'s engine (with throttle bodies)

to mine without throttle bodies...
sweet_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by sweet_corsa »

:?
j1400
CB-Uk User

Post by j1400 »

As Paul said, they replace the std inlet.
They off good power gains as there are no turns in the path of the air to flow, so it can move faster, and more can be sucked in to the engine, this increases what is known as volumetric effiecency. The more air that goes in the engine, the more fuel you can mix with it to make a bigger bang and hence more power.
Basically as each cylinder has it\'s own inlet anf throttle it makes it easier to draw the air, if you look at the std inlet, the air needs to take 6 90degree turns (540degrees), where as TB\'s is nil.
You need to use a new ecu to that can have all the fuelling and ignition changed on them as a std ecu couldn\'t run the engine as it\'s too different than std.
sweet_corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by sweet_corsa »

ah ok i understnd now....cheers mate! u live in hemel hempstead....thats quite near me....