dodgey breaks

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

kirsty_corsa
CB-Uk Newbie

dodgey breaks

Post by kirsty_corsa »

hey guys, last month i brought my first car a gorgeous corsa of which ive totally fallen in love with, however the breaks are testing my patience (spongey breaks), ive changed my shoes, pad and discs with were totally knackered before i fitted the new ones and that hadn\'t solved the problem

i then got a tip of if there was white smoke coming form the exhaust its burning hydrolic fluid meaning the master cylinder was gone ( inwhich there was. bugger), so i nipped down to my local car parts shop and picked up a master cylinder which turned out to be the wrong one and had to return and wait a week for the right one to arrive.

one i had emptied my bank account of £113 + vat and fitted the part, bled the breaks and everything they were still spongey.
the only thing i can figure is wrong now is the break servo, i have now brought a break servo and my partner is fitting it for me as we speak.

if the servo hasn\'t solved the problem im outta ideas what could be wrong, can anyone help before i take my baby down to the scrap yard

kirsty
sach
CB-Uk User

dodgey breaks

Post by sach »

i would have a look at it 4 ya but ur a long way away. i got a feeling u got air in ur system and a lack of brake flude.
kirsty_corsa
CB-Uk Newbie

dodgey breaks

Post by kirsty_corsa »

i know there is no air in the brake fluid as they have been bled to buggery and all air has been removed. and has had new brake fluid in. I\'m completely outta idea what could be wrong. the servo is now in place and i will bled them again first thing tomorrow morning and check to see how its going. and if its not fixed .... anyone wanna buy a corsa? good runner never stops... lol
Adam-D
Administrator

dodgey breaks

Post by Adam-D »

right put braided brake lines in

and what front brakes are you running?
kirsty_corsa
CB-Uk Newbie

dodgey breaks

Post by kirsty_corsa »

i just have the standard breaks discs on front drums on back.
Adam-D
Administrator

dodgey breaks

Post by Adam-D »

fit a set of disk\'s calipers, pads from a 2ltr 16v cavalier/calibra

std breaks arent that good
what size wheels do you have?
kirsty_corsa
CB-Uk Newbie

dodgey breaks

Post by kirsty_corsa »

i think they are 13\'s they are just the standard poo wheels no alloys or anything yet
Adam-D
Administrator

dodgey breaks

Post by Adam-D »

you\'d need 15\" wherels to upgrade to bigger brakes
Adam-D
Administrator

dodgey breaks

Post by Adam-D »

at least 14\'s
kirsty_corsa
CB-Uk Newbie

dodgey breaks

Post by kirsty_corsa »

oh right, good to know but it still doesn\'t solve my existing problem though
Poundie
CB-Uk User

dodgey breaks

Post by Poundie »

Just bleed ye brakes out, should be a regular things that all car owners do as part of a yearly or even 6 monthly service
sach
CB-Uk User

dodgey breaks

Post by sach »

whats the air like in ur wheels?
kirsty_corsa
CB-Uk Newbie

dodgey breaks

Post by kirsty_corsa »

the air in my tires are slightly low.. never thought of that. bled them again this morning and they are slightly better, safe enough to get it to a garage

thanks alot guys
j1400
CB-Uk User

dodgey breaks

Post by j1400 »

Firstly, adjust the rear drum shoes correctly, as and slack there will cause pedal travel.
then when you bleed the system do it in a diagonal pattern, to forn left, back right front right back left, as the car is set in pairs like this.
j1400
CB-Uk User

dodgey breaks

Post by j1400 »

Firstly, adjust the rear drum shoes correctly, as and slack there will cause pedal travel.
then when you bleed the system do it in a diagonal pattern, to forn left, back right front right back left, as the car is set in pairs like this.
Also check the condition of the rubber lines, if these are getting old it really won\'t help travel.
And if all else fails you can take the brakepedal out and there\'s an adjuster bolt you can wind out a little to give beter pedal feel and reduce travel.

Good luck and hope it sorts out.