What Corsa U Driving?

Automotive topics & discussion.
amanda
CB-Uk User

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by amanda »

for some reason its not letting me upload my pics to the gallery but here is my car at the moment

and yes i know its got a long way to go! i got the springs to lower it just need to get round to doing it
rick
CB-Uk User

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by rick »

that looks familiar di you go on the max power forums?
amanda
CB-Uk User

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by amanda »

yeah i do
Ru55
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by Ru55 »

cost me £500 for the car but needed new brakes and shoks so i gust lowerd it and got new disc and pads cost me about anuther 300 once i got the alloys lowed neons and ice and all the little bits
gust got a pipercross :lol: only £17 now it will rilly sound the part :twisted:
jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by jonny-1-note »

i dont care wot any one says my girlfriends dad is a car mechanic, got his own business for 38 year, built 8.6 chevy rally cars bored them out and all sorts and he says anything you do to modify your engine will not increase your B.H.P if they have E.C.U meaning that whatever you add or upgrade, the E.C.U compenstates so it has no effect. so all you modders out there are basically gettin nowhere, might make it sound better but thats about it.

air control and fuel consumption has to be even mixture so add air induction kit and you get a flat spot in accelleration as the E.C.U compenstates for the balance.

vauxall or any car with E.C.U have the ability to do, what they manufacture at.

basically they built to spec so no matter wot u do to engine it compensates.

he says you`ll get more B.H.P adding new tyres than fitting an induction kit :D

well gutted had so much in mind but hes the man!
Ru55
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by Ru55 »

tru to a pont but if u go to say bore out the engine theres nuthing the ecu can do so u get more bhp gust not 100%u still displaysing more so the ecu carnt do anyhing if u wher to chip or remap the ecu then u get the full power im a motor sport mechanic and the new ecu do compansat to a pont so thay will efect a simpal mod like filters and back box but there only so far thay can go
jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by jonny-1-note »

i said BORE cause he has, to tell you he knows whats he`s saying.

never meant if you bore it out thats obvious, just that a simple mod wot these lot are buyin will have no effect even the FSE dosent have effect.

im well gutted :(

the only way to increase B.H.P is installing a light FLYWHEEL as this is where your B.H.P increases as it measured from the FLYWHEEL to the REAR WHEELS.

i dont know jack bout cars he just advised me not to do this and that :)
jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by jonny-1-note »

just to add,

who has the new E.C.U on a corsa b? :lol:
rick
CB-Uk User

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by rick »

[quote=\"jonny-1-note\"]i dont care wot any one says my girlfriends dad is a car mechanic, got his own business for 38 year, built 8.6 chevy rally cars bored them out and all sorts and he says anything you do to modify your engine will not increase your B.H.P if they have E.C.U meaning that whatever you add or upgrade, the E.C.U compenstates so it has no effect. so all you modders out there are basically gettin nowhere, might make it sound better but thats about it.

air control and fuel consumption has to be even mixture so add air induction kit and you get a flat spot in accelleration as the E.C.U compenstates for the balance.
[/quote]
i\'m sure i read somewhere that if you disconnect the battery for an hour or so the ecu resets its self then when you re connect the battery and start the car up it works out how much air its getting and adjusts the fueling accordingly but that only works for fitting an induction kit, it\'s totally boned for if your doing big power mods like throttle bodys cams full exhaust flowed head etc.
jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by jonny-1-note »

asked him and he says it resets to what its manufactured to do :(

it cant phisically enhance its self it just balances what your fitting back to normal (how it should be) then u lose somewhere else e.g get a flatspot in accelleration.

u cannot modify anything such as a induction kit FSE valve etc.. as you lose out on either.

E.C.U`s are manufacutre set to do what they meant it to do.

and not too be messed with apparently!!!!!!!! :(
PaulW
Administrator

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by PaulW »

very true

the ECU is a self-learning system, but is designed to operate & manage the engine according to certain conditions.

Resetting the ECU like said will just put it back in \'factory mode\'. Alot of people think it puts it into learning mode, but this just isnt the case.

The ECU is constantly learning/adapting to different conditions, and fitting an aftermarket filter (such as induction kit) will react differently, so causing the ECU to adjust the fueling to match the increased air-flow (if the engine has an AFM sensor that is)

Older 8v engines which dont have an AFM or AMM will react much differently, as the car cant tell how much air its taking in, so just fuels the engine as normal & so runs a bit weak in the mixture, so affecting performance.

Its a case of hit&miss with induction kits, but speaking from how my GSi is reacting to when I tested a standard air-box & the pipercross which is on it now, the pipercross produces a flatspot which ranges from 2.5k to 4k, then 4k up you feel the car pull better.

Standard airbox didnt have the flatspot, but the power-curve was affected from about 5.5k upwards & you could feel it dropping off slightly. This was with a standard filter unit tho & the airbox wasnt modified, but I imagine with a performance panel filter & slight modification to the airbox, it will perform just aswell as the induction kit high up the rev range & also shouldnt have the same flatspot charectoristics as the induction kit has lower down.
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
PaulW
Administrator

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by PaulW »

oh and there was no difference to when the ECU was reset or the filters just changed as-is, the car adapted to each condition itself.
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
jonny-1-note
CB-Uk Newbie

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by jonny-1-note »

told ya!! :lol:
tom87
CB-Uk User

What Corsa U Driving?

Post by tom87 »

corsa b 1.2 8v breeze
Ben