subs...

Post anything electrical or ICE here. ie, upgrading your stereo, or removing looms etc.

Moderator: Octane2097

rick
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by rick »

do subs have to be in a sealed box? or could you get away with mounting on a shelf of sorts?
shortie
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by shortie »

depends what sub it is mate, if you stick a link up i\'ll be able to sort ya out. Some work best in sealed enclosures and some work best with ports or vents. depends what music you listen to aswell
PaulW
Administrator

subs...

Post by PaulW »

2 subs

enclosed & free-air

enclosed work best in boxes & enclosures...

free-air ones will be ok on parcel shelf, but will sound pants!
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
shortie
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by shortie »

free air dont sound that bad if there on a strong parcel shelf (mabye a steath shelf) in a smallish boot, but there not a patch on enclosed ones!
shortie
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by shortie »

all audiobahn stuff looks pretty good, but my mate just got one of there subs and tbh its not all that great. Dont get me wrong its good, but it doesnt seem to be able to keep up at times and turns into more of a rumble than a thump. Thats a 12\" btw
rick
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by rick »

the sub & amp
that what i\'m thinking of getting. i think i\'d discribed how i want to mount it a little bit wrong. i\'m thinking of putting it in a slanting box at one side of the boot but i was just wondering if i could be lazy and miss out the sides of the box and have the sub still work properly
shortie
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by shortie »

wouldnt recommend it mate, thats an awsome sub and it would be a shame to see it go to waste coz your to lazy to do a proper sub box! :lol:
If your that bad, just buy one!
rick
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by rick »

looks like i\'ll have to do a proper job on it then.
does the box have to be a certain volume for the sub to work properly? and would that amp be ok or would it be better having a 1000w peak power amp to go with the sub that has 1000w peak power?
lozzy_corsa
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by lozzy_corsa »

to be honest i wouldnt bother with free air stuff

with porting dont just cut a hole inside it has to be a certain length and with to work properly

peak vaules are always a good one im giving my current sub 3k max lol

its more important to go for the RMS figures thats what the sub will take all day every day!

alpine its butiful kit sounds nice :D
shortie
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by shortie »

yeah i agree with lozzy on that one, match the rms ratings as close as you can, but try to get the amp a bit higher, that way you can turn the gains down and dont need to push it as hard, so it wont overheat as much and it wont distort
Stuart_SRI
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by Stuart_SRI »

[quote=\".\"]audiobahn free air subs look sweet though![/quote]

yer! sweet

i had a JBL 1000w peak sub, pushing out 250w rms, and that worked better in a sealed enclouser as opposed to a ported box. as for mounting to say your stealth shelf, suppose it would work, but dunno if it ould effect quality hmmmmm
lozzy_corsa
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by lozzy_corsa »

free air subs are easy to unload ( flap about ) having them enlclose means they are more controled and will sound better

stu them JBLS are mental when they are ported they just need more power i had a JBL 10 ported and it took double the rms power 500wrms and pounded for ages before getting worm :D
Stuart_SRI
CB-Uk User

subs...

Post by Stuart_SRI »

yer i was running mine off 175w rms, maybe the reason it sounded better in a sealed enclosure. gonna stik with the sealed box when i run the sub again. im not a bass head like u lozzy!!!!!!