The Flame Red Project Thread

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Re: The Flame Red Project Thread

Post by nathcarr »

Hey rian good to have you back on the thread buddy look forward to some updates hope your exams have been going well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:Hey rian good to have you back on the thread buddy look forward to some updates hope your exams have been going well

HI Nath! Thanks bud, they are only mock Christmas exams but were stressing none the less. Anyway, they finished today so have tomorrow off- Corsa's getting a polish!
Must do a wee check on your thread to. How's things anyway?
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Sooo hello again!
I’m back after a good while not posting. I’ve basically just been busy with work etc so this has just kind of fell to the way side. So I want to bring this thread up to date. I’m still driving away at her, I’m starting to get more at ease with driving as I drive more.
I’m planning on getting a rear spoiler sprayed and put on as well as a 3inch sportex outward rolled back box. I’m trying to find a set of cav fanblades which is not an easy task!

So I’m just going to throw a whole load of photos at you here so grab a cup of tea/coffee or another favorite ‘beverage’ and enjoy!

Show day:

I'll upload more tomorrow. It just takes so long to upload and copy the photos over. Sorry as well that it's not more of a project, but I'm taking my time, as well as the fact that other things are also taking my time.

All the best,
Rían P :thumb:
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Rían P wrote:
nathcarr wrote:Hey rian good to have you back on the thread buddy look forward to some updates hope your exams have been going well

HI Nath! Thanks bud, they are only mock Christmas exams but were stressing none the less. Anyway, they finished today so have tomorrow off- Corsa's getting a polish!
Must do a wee check on your thread to. How's things anyway?
Awesome man yeah things are good [emoji4]. I havent really done much on mine lately been busy with moving house so that's took up most of my time but got myself some nice front seats though [emoji57]. Also got an oil leak sorted That's been therefore ages so was happy with that. The corsa is looking CLEAN!!! In them pics mate very very nice work bud [emoji106] when your done with your exams and stuff you can come clean mine haha[emoji23][emoji23]

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:
Rían P wrote:
nathcarr wrote:
Awesome man yeah things are good [emoji4]. I havent really done much on mine lately been busy with moving house so that's took up most of my time but got myself some nice front seats though [emoji57]. Also got an oil leak sorted That's been therefore ages so was happy with that. The corsa is looking CLEAN!!! In them pics mate very very nice work bud [emoji106] when your done with your exams and stuff you can come clean mine haha[emoji23][emoji23]

Ah good lad, I'm sure moving house isn't the best of fun lol
Was that your calibra leathers? They look unreal Nath, really do transform the wee motor. Nothing like the sense of achievement when fixing a leak!

Thanks :) she did look class that day if I do say so myself. I love these wee cars, just think they're absolutely brilliant. Someday I hope to own an Arden blue like yours!

That's very kind of you! Even letting me finish my exams first :lol:
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Rían P wrote:
nathcarr wrote:
Rían P wrote:
Ah good lad, I'm sure moving house isn't the best of fun lol
Was that your calibra leathers? They look unreal Nath, really do transform the wee motor. Nothing like the sense of achievement when fixing a leak!

Thanks :) she did look class that day if I do say so myself. I love these wee cars, just think they're absolutely brilliant. Someday I hope to own an Arden blue like yours!

That's very kind of you! Even letting me finish my exams first :lol:
Your right mate moving house is stressful I won't be doing it again haha!! Yeah they Cali leathers mate just need to get a set of rears now to match [emoji4]. Haha yeah that leak has bugged me for ages and turns out it was the rubber seal around the oil filter so cheap fix [emoji4].

I agree mate I love my little B the lads at work don't get it but that's coz they don't own one [emoji23]. I seen a flame red one the other day on Facebook it had polished cav fan-blades looked unreal the red looked so clean just like yours that's why I love the Reds because when they clean they look perfect [emoji106]

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:
Your right mate moving house is stressful I won't be doing it again haha!! Yeah they Cali leathers mate just need to get a set of rears now to match [emoji4]. Haha yeah that leak has bugged me for ages and turns out it was the rubber seal around the oil filter so cheap fix [emoji4].

I agree mate I love my little B the lads at work don't get it but that's coz they don't own one [emoji23]. I seen a flame red one the other day on Facebook it had polished cav fan-blades looked unreal the red looked so clean just like yours that's why I love the Reds because when they clean they look perfect [emoji106]

Cali leathers are class like, would love a set too.
A rubber seal was ok then! Nice when you get a cheap, easy fix. Saves a lot of heartache!

As you say, people who don't have one, or haven't had one just don't understand how loveable wee cars they are. I love flame red to, basically any red car is nice. But, if I buy another one, I'd look for either arden blue or that dark red colour. Think when ardens are detailed like yours, the flame pop is class!
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Right so as mentioned, here’s the scuttle panel and tigra coin tray that I got from the scrap man. I got the scuttle panel, coin tray and the two wee strut top pieces for £10, not bad!

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

The arsenal used: Poundland sprayer, B&M paintbrush, and Lidl's answer to fairy liquid.

Image[/URL]

Given a spray down with warm water and the washing stuff which seemed ok at getting rid of the algae, but it might need another go.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Worked into a lather using the brush

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Forgot to get the after so sorry about that!

Thinking of putting a 3 inch outward rolled powerflow box on her, basically just for a bit of grunt! Basically, I’m just enjoying driving the car at the minute but intend to get her sealed for the winter (yes probably should have been done but time is not on my side at the min)
I’ll try and get some more photos up soon.

All the best,
Rían P
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Ahhh the tigra scuttle and coin tray possibly the best mod you can do on these in my opinion they look so much better with the tigra scuttle on [emoji106]

See for underseal buddy I would highly recommend this product Image

It's slightly on the pricey side but that's for a full kit you'll only need a bottle n a half too do your floor. It's a 2pac product so goes like concrete not like that 1k or waterbased crap. We use it at work all the time. You can also buy it as a tintable product so can do it any colour you like but make sure it says tintable on the box.

There's loads of vids on YouTube off the stuff being used, so have a search just search upol raptor and you can see some off the finishes you can get with it and how durable it is, honestly bud you can wheel spin a car on it and it won't come off [emoji4]

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

A Small Update
Hello Everyone! Thought I ought to throw a bit of shape back into the thread haha

In the last few weeks, within a week of each other, I bought two sets of alloys £££!
I found a set of Cavalier Slabs for decent money locally, which were in decent condition, needing tyres. So a short drive and shake of the hand, seen my bringing them home.

Image[/URL]

Now, although I do really like a set of slabs on a corsa, the set of alloys that I really wanted was a set of Cavalier Fanblades! They too are in good condition as can be seen below, however due to the corrosion on the barrel and the general scoring of the face, I am in the middle of refurbing them.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Overall, they are in great condition for an alloy which is probably around about 20 years old. I do like OEM style, often I find standard manufacturer alloys are the best fit as well as look for the car, but that’s just me.

So this is where the clean-up operation begins. I started with a snow foam but had to much on to a more dedicated wheel cleaning product. I have used some of this thread for a review on a another forum so it may be a bit too detailed but as long as it’s corsa related, I’m sure yous will all be happy enough lol

Light layer of dirt on the face of the alloy. There’s no buckling or any major kerbing so that’s a definite plus. These alloys are as rare as hen’s teeth in NI, and it’s probably the same in ROI, as well as Britain, so to come across a clean set locally for decent money.

Image[/URL]

This was the level of grime and dirt found on all four rims. The previous owner mustn’t have cared to much for the barrels, which I suppose is understandable, of course it wouldn’t do for me lol

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Foamed with Valet Pro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam, which I must say is very good. Thick enough foam is created, it does help to soften dirt, It smells nice, is economical and doesn’t deteriorate any protection on the surface in hand. I will do a proper review of this in time, just at them minute, it’s so cold and dull outside to get a proper look at the results, but from what of it I’ve used, I’ve been very pleased!

Image[/URL]

Left to dwell for a while, about 5 minutes

Image[/URL]

And then power washed off to leave a clean finish

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

For some reason, this is the only part of the wheels to bead water! I can’t understand why but there you go!

Image[/URL]

And now the barrel

Image[/URL]

And foamed

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Agitated with a taped paintbrush from Poundland, which to be fair, did the job

Image[/URL]

Power washed off leaving a respectable finish for a ph neutral solution. The alloy is corroded badly so any ‘dirt’ seen may just be ingrained.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

So tried Valet Pro ANSF on an second wheel

Image[/URL]

But as you can see, it didn’t shift it all. This dirt was really ground on, it wasn’t moving too easy so I had to bring out the big guns

Image[/URL]

Valet Pro Dragon’s Breath!

Image[/URL]

Sprayed on, Dragon’s Breath goes on like a gel and sits on the surface well. The bottle produces quite a fine, concentrated spray, so I found it best to ‘spread the spray’ of the bottle, where you pull the trigger and move the bottle across the surface. No doubt you all know this by now, but it’s just an observation I made as a :newbie:.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Being totally new in using fallout remover, it was quite exciting seeing the colour change. I was expecting a really bad smell, and right enough, it wasn’t great, however it wasn’t totally unbearable. There wasn’t much of a wind outside, but I didn’t smell it too strong unless right beside it.

Leaving for approximately 5 mins, it started bleeding quite quickly, near enough as soon as I sprayed it on.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Power washed off, leaving a spotless finish! I was really amazed at how well VP DB worked. It didn’t require any mad scrubbing, just a going over with a paintbrush was enough to agitate the product into the surface, dissolving any further brake dust.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

As you can see above, Valet Pro's Dragon's Breath has done an unreal job of the neglected alloys, an in all fairness, the ANSF was quite able of removing some of the brake dust as well.

Conclusion

VP DB is a brilliant fallout remover, and although I have never used any other form of fallout remover, I don't really know how much greater it could get.

You don't use a great deal of product, however, you do have to use that 'sweeping' method, otherwise you could end up consuming more than you really need to.

I tried using DB on an equally dirty alloy without agitation, and although it removed some of the brake dust, further agitation was needed. However, this brake dust was really caked on, so I didn't expect anything else.

This is only one of many products that I have the pleasure of reviewing, and so I'm trying my best to get through them. However, as you can probably tell by the above review, I like to be thorough in my reviewing, I think it's only fair to the manufacturer.

So this brings me now to the sanding phase, as helped by the knowledge of Nath! It’s by no means a quick process, It took me a full day to sand the inside of one barrel and there’s still a kind of ridge so I may have to try nitromors.

Anyway I’ll update with photos of that in a while,
Thanks,
Rían P
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Ahhhh man that cleaner looks the dogs [emoji106] I didn't even know that existed, you rarely know your products man they've cleaned up very well [emoji106] if you can mate try and get hold of some abrasive flap wheels they can go in a drill makes sanding that little bit quicker dude [emoji108] think they start from 40 grit and go up to like 400 or something plus all kinds of sizes so there good for doing the holes where the wheel nuts go if you can't get any let me know I might be able to help you out there, doing the insides (barrel) is a real pig of a job, we tend not to do much of them at work we just mainly do faces, however I did do mine, but I cheated and got my bead blasted for 5 quid a wheel [emoji106].

If you do go dorm the nitromors route dude it can get very messy so I would put an old sheet underneath them and just make sure you wear a mask and gloves [emoji106] can't wait to see another update dude [emoji106]

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Aye it's real good stuff Nath! It's a fallout remover i.e removes iron contaminants that are bonded to the surface. The chemicals in the cleaner react with these iron particles (brake dust) and dissolve them. The purple colour shows the chemical reaction.

I'll have a look at the drill lad but after today's sanding , I'm kind of fed up lol so may just get them bead blasted :lol:
I'm not going to use Nitromors, to many precautions and mess probably.

Tell me this Nath, when sanding the barrel, does it need to all be down to bare metal or is it just ok to be smooth?
Also the face, is it just a matter of scoring the finish to key it?

I bought high-build primer by Carplan today as well as Etch primer. Hi-build says it primes bare metal, so do I still need ETCH primer?

Also, if I sand down any Kerbing with 180/320/400 grit until it's smooth, do I still need to use the Chemical metal?

I'll try uploading some of today's photos as well as what needs to be done.

All the best,
Rían P
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

The Flame Red Project Thread

Post by nathcarr »

Hahah yeah bead blasting is so much quicker, you'll still have to take the kurbing out but that's easy. As long as the barrel is smooth mate I wouldn't bother taking it back to bare metal.

If you can get rid off the kurbing just by sanding it out mate, you don't need to put any filler in at all, to be honest 90% of the wheels I do I never put filler in just sand them out, if it's really deep I put in on the wheel doctor which mills it down, a alloy wheel rep once told me you can take Upto 3-4mm of a wheel without getting it re balanced any more then it should be balanced but if your putting new tyres on that will get done anyway.

As a rule I would still etch it mate I don't trust anything that says it etches as well as primes, that said we have a product at work that is an epoxy primer and that etches as well as a high build mixed 5:1:1 but that is like mega money and we have to use it because that's what Volkswagen say to use so we have to trust that haha

Hope all helps mate [emoji106]

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

There's not a great deal of Kerbing there anyway so that's no biggie.
I was able to sand down bad enough kerbing to smooth with 180/320/400 so if you say it's ok then I'll keep doing it haha
Not going to bare metal should save a bit of time too.

I'll probably take the wheel weights off anyway, to cover everything, plus new tyres so it'll probably need rebalanced.

Re: etch primer and all, I'll take your word for it and do a light coat of etch then the rest with hi-build.

Didn't think I'd ever hear of anyone who trusts VW now haha

Thanks lad,
Rían P
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Yeah it will be totally fine to mate [emoji106] yeah mate just a nice light coat of etch doesn't need to be hiding anything the high build will take care off that [emoji4].

Haha yeah personally I don't trust them, but they approve us to do there work which is like 90% of our jobs because it's all vw Audi Skoda and seat so there the bosses really haha