The Flame Red Project Thread

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Re: The Flame Red Project Thread

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:Wow thanks man you've gave me so much info there I really appreciate it I'm really kinda new to the whole detailing thing I mean I've Valeted cars before at work but only like service washes and stuff so don't really know alot the about products because well spray painter is my trade haha not valeting, but again thank you for taking your the time to right this all up for me I'll have a ratch about on Amazon like you say and see if I can get my self some bargains coz I don't mind waiting plus Amazon is quite quick delivery anyway usually,

I've heard of loads of people using fe claybar method and to be honest I had no idea what it was and glad you told me about it I'll have a look into that and give it ago coz seems to be a popular choice amongst car enthusiast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol you're kind of a jack of trades Nath! :D It's no problem at all, I love the detailing aspect of cars so it doesn't take much to get me started! Amazon is where I buy most, if not all of my stuff because it's handy, usually cheaper and as you say, delivery is usually pretty quick.

Do look into the claybar, as it'll make the paint soooo smooth and give good gloss, even without polish (you still need to polish though). I use meguiars clay from that kit I told you about, and it's quite good. You'll find it hard to marr the paint which you can do with some other claybars. Or instead of a claybar you could use a clay cloth? I haven't used one but they're supposed to be quite good. May not just remove as much contamination as a Claybar, but not off. G3 do a clay mitt that is sold in Halfords and amazon.

And again, you're very welcome :D
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:Plus too mate if you need any advice about paint work give as a shout have a ton off info stored haha [emoji4]

Lol like a walking encyclopedia! Well thank you! :) i'll maybe give you a shout soon about treating rust blisters in the paint, and priming etc
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

johnny wrote:
I'd agree with nearly all that but for wax I use megs gold clas carnauba wax, in my experience it lasts longer than most other similar waxs

The other thing I'd disagree on is the the technique over product, when it comes to polishes and waxes the cheaper you go the worse they get, making quality wax and polish is expensive so your better sticking to the mid range stuff over the crap halfords sell in a basket for 2.99
Well fair enough Johnny, there's plenty on the market ad it's really personal preference.
I used the liquid version of carnauba plus and didn't think it lasted too long but I was inexperienced at the time.

Technique over product means that mid range products used well, will create far better results than luxury £3000 a pot stuff used poorly. Yes some stuff like car pride etc isn't going to be up to much, and sometimes can do more harm than good. But to make a car look good you don't need to buy the most expensive stuff there. Sometimes the most expensive isn't even the best and the value added is the packaging and marketing of the product. The quality jump between bargin bin and mid range is much greater than that between mid range and pure luxury. Do you know what I mean?
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Nath, on second thoughts after speaking to a motor factor worker, stay away from endurance tyre stuff as it's supposed to crack tyres due to a different formula now. Plus sling is awful.
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Small UPDATE

Went out the other day to go a sail, and found a wet patch just above the A pillar on the passengers side on the inside of the b.

So typed the issue into google to see if anyone had experienced this. After a bit of research, I think it's due to there being no rubber gasket around the aerial base. Think when it rains, water gathers in the sunroof pan and then runs down to the front of the roof. So ordered a gasket off of ebay for £6 which should be here on Monday, so going to try and fit that asap to stop any more water getting trapped.

In other news, bought Autoglym interior shampoo (the trigger one) to use with the hi tech cleaning hand pad (which is very good) to give the seats a clean as they got wet one day that I left the windows down for a while. Then, when I went to dry them with a hairdryer they didn't smell too good so thought a good clean was needed.

I'll try and keep yous posted, but I'm on holidays and the place that I'm staying, has basically no internet so it may have to monday but at least this gives you something to read.

All the best,
Rían
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Rían P wrote:Small UPDATE

Went out the other day to go a sail, and found a wet patch just above the A pillar on the passengers side on the inside of the b.

So typed the issue into google to see if anyone had experienced this. After a bit of research, I think it's due to there being no rubber gasket around the aerial base. Think when it rains, water gathers in the sunroof pan and then runs down to the front of the roof. So ordered a gasket off of ebay for £6 which should be here on Monday, so going to try and fit that asap to stop any more water getting trapped.

In other news, bought Autoglym interior shampoo (the trigger one) to use with the hi tech cleaning hand pad (which is very good) to give the seats a clean as they got wet one day that I left the windows down for a while. Then, when I went to dry them with a hairdryer they didn't smell too good so thought a good clean was needed.

I'll try and keep yous posted, but I'm on holidays and the place that I'm staying, has basically no internet so it may have to monday but at least this gives you something to read.

All the best,
Rían
Once you've got the new gasket fitted mate open your sun roof and in both sides there should be a drain hole give them a good blast through with a airline coz water can build up in them and cause leaked too air the air should just blast everything out I had a water leak on mine and it was that

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:
Once you've got the new gasket fitted mate open your sun roof and in both sides there should be a drain hole give them a good blast through with a airline coz water can build up in them and cause leaked too air the air should just blast everything out I had a water leak on mine and it was that

Will do Nath, will be good to get it cleaned out.
What's the best way to fit the wee gasket do you know?
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Oh yeah and guess what...........

I passed my driving test! Sooo glad, can't believe it! :D
It's feels so weird being able to rally about on your own.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Rían P wrote:Oh yeah and guess what...........

I passed my driving test! Sooo glad, can't believe it! :D
It's feels so weird being able to rally about on your own.
Awesome man, congrats on passing your test [emoji41][emoji106][emoji322][emoji594]

And the gasket dude I have never fit one so no idea would say you'll be dropping the roof liner out tho to get at it

Sorry couldn't be of more help haha

andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

Congrats rian p ya will now see how good it feels to drive ya car mate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
If it ain't green and black send it back :D
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

nathcarr wrote:
Awesome man, congrats on passing your test [emoji41][emoji106][emoji322][emoji594]

And the gasket dude I have never fit one so no idea would say you'll be dropping the roof liner out tho to get at it

Sorry couldn't be of more help haha

Thanks lad :D
And don't worry, I'd say you're on the right tracks :)
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

andy w wrote:Congrats rian p ya will now see how good it feels to drive ya car mate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Thanks Andy W! And you're right it feels so cool cruising round the town 8) Was putting back to black on the trim today at the filling station where I stopped to get petrol lol
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

UPDATE0 BURRITO

So how do everyone. I'm back online again after a short stay with limited (read non existent) wifi and I have a few updates. I'm just going to post a whole load of photos from the show prep and try to bring the thread up to date.

So, first things first. The car had its first MOT last night in my possession, and guess what. She passed with flying colours. Not even one advisory. As you could probably guess I'm so glad, means now that I can fully enjoy driving the car for a while now. A few people commented on how clean of a corsa she was today, t'was quite humbling. Anyway, here's more of the photos.

Firstly, these are of when I tackled the sunroof seal's green coating, turned out quite well in the end

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Just used an old toothbrush and some Turtle Wax ICE interior cleaner. Worked ok I think. Anyone know how to rejuvenate/protect this seal?

Decided to clean the seatbelt thing as well. First two rows have been cleaned. I used a cotton bud with TW interior cleaner again.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Also cleaned the inner bit of the wing mirror

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

and the door top run thing

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

A bit cleaner :)
RoweY
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by RoweY »

Really love your attention to detail mate, wish i could do more like that but just don't have the patience
“If one day speed kills me, don’t cry. Because I was smiling”- Paul Walker
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

RoweY wrote:Really love your attention to detail mate, wish i could do more like that but just don't have the patience
Thank you RoweY :) When time's on your side, the small details are what make it.
but I can see where you're coming from!

I've sort of forgotten about this thread due to school work, exams etc so a small update coming soon (tonight)