Corsa b project log 1.0

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Re: Corsa b project log 1.0

Post by nathcarr »

Today I got a new engine for the car [emoji4][emoji106] I always thought when I got a new engine it would be something bigger in size but time doesn't really allow for it so I just got another 1litre one. It's in good condition as far as the lad says so just taking a gamble with it really but the lad was honest and said he didn't know the condition of the clutch so whilst the engine is out I'm gonna change that and just check some other bits and pieces over, so got the engine home and started giving it a clean up so it's nicer to work on and looks good when back in the car
Before

And then a few hours lately with some white spirits, steam cleaner and me pa in law [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cmcorsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Cmcorsa »

Good to see u cracking on and not getting down about the head gasket problem! Boot looks awsome blue spoiler imo every time I see a black spoiler it looks like it's been fitted before painting lol

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Cmcorsa wrote:Good to see u cracking on and not getting down about the head gasket problem! Boot looks awsome blue spoiler imo every time I see a black spoiler it looks like it's been fitted before painting lol

Cheers man [emoji4] I'll be honest it did get me a little bit down on the Friday when I found out the gasket was in fooked but I've put to much time into it to pull the plug and just couldn't do it so decided to just bray on and get it sorted [emoji106].

You have a fare point about the spoiler I've never thought of it that way before, blue it is haha. Yeah I'm very pleased with the finish on the boot, hopefully by Saturday coming the whole car will be like that neat enough because I'm off work for a couple of days but going in so I can get the passenger side and rear bumper painted then it's pretty much all done apart from the roof [emoji108]

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I'd take the box off and just drop in the motor and change the clutch at the same time, it would just mean you wouldn't be messing about with the gear selector and box mounts because it can be a prick to get back on

It's fairly straight forward to drop another 1.0 in just remember to swap the ecu over, I've done it plenty of times, just drop in the motor and then stand for an hour wondering why it won't fire[emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900F
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Thanks for the advice mate, I've got a new clutch coming on Wednesday so I'm gonna fit that too the new engine at the weekend so it's ready to just go in the car,

I did think the other day I'll have to swap the ecu round so it will start with my key, but I won't need to change anything else over of mine will I just the ecu??

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Went to halfords tonight and treat myself to a Haynes manual for the car, in the year I've had it I've never had a Haynes for it and the missus had it 4 years before and we never got a one then either so thought how's the time I need one with changing the engine over, so this is tonight read/swat up for putting the clutch in at the weekend[emoji106]

joshuainfamous
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by joshuainfamous »

Shame to see the headgasket problem bud, but glad to see you've just got on with it and not let it get you down!
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

joshuainfamous wrote:Shame to see the headgasket problem bud, but glad to see you've just got on with it and not let it get you down!
Thanks man, [emoji106] been hitting problems all week at the moment with it, getting very close to just getting shot of it but trying to keep spirits high [emoji4]

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

So haven't really got many pictures to show you's lads for this update but have got some,

Got the clutch and drive belt for the new engine yesterday so gonna try get them fitted some time soon all genuine parts as well, probs all didn't need genuine but I like genuine haha

Started on the passenger side body work today though and you know when you wish you never started something.....kind of a boy like that,

Removed the rear bumper and the bumper re-Inforcer and back panel were all caved in, now this must of been like this when my missus got then car 5 years ago. So that put me back a lot, had to bray it all out and also to top it off the bottom lip of the back panel where the exhaust sits....rotten!!! [emoji107] so had to cut all that out. And dress it up looks abit better but just prolonging the inevitable I think, sorry no pics of before because I was in a mood with it and pictures were last thing on my mind.

Removed the rear quarter panel spat all to find that behind that the arch was also rotten, by this point I was ready to give up!! But had already started the repairs and stuff so couldn't put the car back together until painted. So I just ground it off best I could and carried on with the rest of the car. I don't think in my professional opinion that the arch is gonna last another year, but where do you draw the line on this stuff, do you spend more time and money trying to fix it or so young shot for something else...decisions decisions. However it should hold out til after PVS [emoji4].

So here is some pics of how I got on today managed to get everything primed and the rear panel and arch kinda repaired and just used a 2 pac underseal called raptor? It sets like concrete.

Still loads more to do tomorrow but should be all painted by tomorrow night so another update tomorrow for you all [emoji106]

Cmcorsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Cmcorsa »

Shame about the rust mines been played there on the archs keep at it though good progress all the same

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Good update there Nath, a good read!
Shame to hear about everything that seems to be going wrong but re: rust, I'm sure there's not too many b's without it. The only difference would be the degree to which it's there.

Don't lose heart in the wee car. It's a straight motor that you know a bit about since you've had it a while.

Keep 'er lit lad ! :)
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Cheers lads [emoji106] yeah your right Rían mate, it's been on the go for ages the car so I'm just thinking to myself the whole time we've had it this is the first time with problems.

Got cracked on today though and it's all painted up, here's some pics for you's all to look at

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gonna go into work tomorrow and get cracked on with the refit so will post more pics tomorrow [emoji4]

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Looking really well lad! I know I've said it time and time again but Arden Blue is such a lovely colour! Looks so glossy and wet. If i'm ever buying another b, I'd get Arden and try put her like yours! 8)
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Cheers mate, yeah I do love Arden possibly me favourite colour at the moment, haha. I'm happy with how it looks, see the lacquer we use at work retails at £85 per litre as a posed to the cheaper scheme we have at £18 per litre but the difference in the two is shown in the price, this was the done with the expensive paint just because it is the best on the market. I didn't pay that for it like because we get it for nothing when we do our own cars. I mean it will loose a very very little gloss as it dries but it won't even be noticeable, and one it's been flatted with 2000 and polished it will be like glass [emoji4]

Cmcorsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Cmcorsa »

Looks awsome dude I painted my corsa today aswell