Corsa b project log 1.0

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Corsa b project log 1.0

Post by nathcarr »

Tailgate is finally painted [emoji106][emoji108][emoji57][emoji41]

Started of by flattening the high build with 500 and the. Going over it all with a red scotch inside and out.

Wet on wet primer
2 and a half coats of base (2full coats 1 drop coat) and then clear coated

Very happy with the finish its stayed very clean (no dirt contamination) literally needs a little de-nib then polished however it will be getting a 1500 wet flat followed by a 3000 wet and 6000 wet then polished just to make it perfect and like glass!! [emoji108] well more than it is now [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Re: Corsa b project log 1.0

Post by Rían P »

Boot lid looks absolutely class Nath! Arden blue is a really nice colour!
Good job fella! 8)
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Thanks Rian mate [emoji106] yeah I'm very pleased with the finish looking forward to next week though because I'm painting the passenger side and rear bumper so that will be the whole car painted will just need to polish up the rest to freshen it up again [emoji108]

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Got a couple of questions for yas lads could use your advice on,

Right fitted my new clutch cable tonight which is genuine and the clutch pedal is waaaaaay softer feels a lot nicer however the pedal is right at the top, it had like a lot of free play before the clutch is engaged is this normal or not?? I don't know because the last cable was slightly sized so wasn't returning the pedal all the way

My 2 worry is this

It's all over the inside and I can see its sitting on top of the rollers, does this mean my head gasket is on its way out??

Thanks for any info in advance lads [emoji106]

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Did you adjust the cable? You have a fair bit of adjustment to how the pedal will feel by tightening or slacking the cable on top of the gearbox

If your cams are covered in it it's likely already gone, any coolant left in the tank?

Sent from my SM-G900F
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:Did you adjust the cable? You have a fair bit of adjustment to how the pedal will feel by tightening or slacking the cable on top of the gearbox

If your cams are covered in it it's likely already gone, any coolant left in the tank?

Sent from my SM-G900F
I haven't yet mate no I'll give this a try tomorrow, [emoji106] and there is coolant left in the bottle mate, but the car isn't overheating sits nicely at 90 and it's blowing out white smoke either

stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Mine was the same with the white gunk because the previous owner was an old woman only driving to mass so the car never done anything journeys. I changed the oil and flushed it out with diesel and it was grand since.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Mine was the same with the white gunk because the previous owner was an old woman only driving to mass so the car never done anything journeys. I changed the oil and flushed it out with diesel and it was grand since.

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Could just be the bad weather/short journeys and the condensation just built up

I'd do an oil change just to be safe and to have a better idea how much is in it

Sent from my SM-G900F
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

johnny wrote:Could just be the bad weather/short journeys and the condensation just built up

I'd do an oil change just to be safe and to have a better idea how much is in it

Sent from my SM-G900F
It really needs to be flushed out too. When I dropped the oilnfrom mine I thought there was a lot of gunk but when I flushed it there was 3-4 times more than when I just dropped the oil.

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Thanks for the info lads... Had the car at the garage today just to get it checked over and they ran pressure tests and various other tests and the head gasket is on its way out [emoji107][emoji22] to top it off as well I think the clutch is on its way out as well because it's getting difficult to select gears on the way to work this morning and on the way home tonight [emoji107][emoji107]

On a lighter note though got the tailgate on and polished and is looking good suppose I may as well finish the body off, while waiting for prices to fix the engine and what to do with here's some pics of the tailgate

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Boot lid looks very glossy lad 8) looks really nice! Strange to see the car without the spoiler though!

Re: the gunk, mine did that/does that, however the mechanic said that all cars will do that, and that if your dipstick starts to go a grey colour then that's usually a head gasket.

Being hard to get gears, is it certain gears or just them all? It's just when I had to replace the b's crankshaft seal, as you may know, it's a gearbox out job. After getting it back, it was near impossible to get both first and second. Turned out to be linkages needing adjusted. Worth checking but I could just be rambling!

Keep up the good work pal!
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Corsa b project log 1.0

Post by nathcarr »

Cheers Rían mate [emoji106] yeah I'm happy with the overall outcome of the tailgate, nice finish on it just need the the passenger side done now and that's the whole car painted, me and a lad I work with were saying it's weird looking at it without the spoiler on but gives it a nice kind of clean look at the same time, I'm under two minds wether to paint the spoiler blue or do it gloss black[emoji4]

Yeah when I took it to the garage they said it could be normal, but after a few tests and stuff it turns out the gasket is on it way out so boooo!!

There's a complete engine with box and everything 5 miles away from me I'm going to have a look at it tonight at some point and maybe purchase it to pop in its only 100 quid,

It's just certain gears and has literally just started to happen I've had to like double clutch it to get into gear. I will give the linkages an check though mate anything is worth a try so thanks for that Info appreciate it. it's being a right pain in the arse lately I can tell it's MOT is coming up because problems start to happen haha

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

I agree totally with the clean look, I quite like it without.

That's not good to hear about the HG but if there's an engine near , happy days!

When that happened my gears, i had to try a few times with the clutch, so chances are the linkages just need adjusted.

Haha! Just blooming typical the problems show when MOT comes around. At least it reminds you when it needs booked!
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Yeah the more I look at it without the spoiler the more I do like it, I think when the whole car is painted and polished up/clean it will look very well, but it won't look as sporty which is the only thing, I'm gonna paint it black and trial fit it and if I don't like it paint it Arden again haha.

Yeah I'm going to have a look at the motor tomorrow, phoned the bloke today and he said it's been out the car less than a month and it's been dry stored with no signs of head gasket wear and no rattle from timing chain, only thing he is unsure about is the clutch condition so he recommends putting a new one in while the motor is out which I was gonna do anyway because I'm keeping the car so may as well. but he still has the whole car to do if there's any parts I need I can have them because he's gonna scrap the body because it's rotten,

I'm gonna get a Haynes manual tomorrow for it and then follow the way to adjust the linkages because I'm in no way mechanically minded really I know enough to get me by like discs and pads and exhausts and radiators and stuff but when it comes to gears clutch and a running engine I'm pretty much screwed unless it's an old Mini Cooper engine haha (I used to banger race one so was always working on it)