The Flame Red Project Thread

For New & Continuing Projects Only.
NOT for past projects or questions.
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Re: The Flame Red Project Thread

Post by Rían P »

I must say, I am looking forward to the painting aspect of it. It's an enjoyable job, but this sanding is very laborious, but I suppose it's ok. I like making things look better (hence my huge interest in detailing) and so it's nice to see a turn around.

Well I suppose if they're giving you work then happy days! As you say they're the bosses, just smile and nod haha
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Hello again! You all probably think i've left the country and am living like someone you'd see on Ben Fogle's People who were once very wealthy but gave it all up to live in a shack and rare Cattle show *Not the real name but close enough* haha

Annnyway, I having while bother with this car at the minute.
At Christmas time, the crankshaft seal went, and so a lighter wallet later, that was fixed. A few months down the line, and it's away again. Or at least, the car is leaking oil again and I assume it's from the same thing, though I've yet to properly investigate as I don't really know what the crankshaft seal looks like.

To make matters worse, it's drinking water like a man with a bad hangover. Around December time, there was problems with the heather where it would go cold for a minute then back to luke warm. When i checked the car for water it was near empty So filled it up with fresh antifreeze.
There's that awl mayonnaisey stuff on the oil filler cap, and the same on the dipstick, so i assume a blown head gasket. Also, sometimes the car hesitates a shocking bit when you come out of a junction and plant the foot to get away. Would that be a symptom of a HG?

The good news however, is that I'll soon be finished my A-Levels and so plan to finish refurbing my fanblades and fixing all the rust on the car, underside included. But, we'll see how the mechanics of it go first. I'm a wee bit fed up with things going wrong, it's funny because the 1.0 12v Corsa b I had before that had 140,000 miles gave absolutely no bother, compared to this car that has less than half the miles!!

So hopefully, once the summer time comes, I'll have proper updates, like a proper resto thread!

Thanks and take care folks,
Rían P
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

Ríííaaaaaaaaaannnn!! Wooooooo (it's Nath this is my new account forgot my pole login details)

Good to have you back man, I've been waiting f or someone too put a post on for ages the forums gone dead lately!!

Shame to hear about the problems pal. I too have very similar. It is sounding like a possible head gasket to me mate, especially if it's all mayo on the dipstick too, such a bummer!! Mines gone too luckily got a spare engine sitting waiting to go in I've just put a new clutch in it first though so new engine new clutch :D . Mine was leaking oil too dude and it turned out in the end it was 2 separate leaks 1 was the rubber on the oil filter housing had gone....simple fix and the other was the oil pressure switch again simple fix so maybe start there dude hopefully.

Hope you manage to get it all sorted man I hate it when cats start giving people bother!!

Hey I can join you with the resto thread because my floor is rotten hahaha but I'm not letting it dye on me just yet few lads at work think I'm bizzare for doing it but they dont get it....hope everything is going well with your A levels and dying to see the finished fanblades man,good to hear from you Rian mate
Take it easy dude 8)
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Hahahaha Naaaaaaaaaaath Good to hear from you too!

Funny I was the same! Kept checking back everyday hoping something new would happen but like you say, everythings gone quiet on the western front!

I mind you talking about your HG going, and it's good you've an engine sutting ready just to throw in when time allows! I liked the finish you got on the gearbox too after a good clean! Re: the oil leak, I might give those things a look, could be the oil is running down from there and making it look like crankshaft seal?

Aye it's a bloody nuisance when they start giving bother! It seems to be everything at one time too but ah well.

Dear oh about the floor :( Not the best thing but sure the same boy will work with it and she'll be sitting as good as new (if not better)!! Most people don't understand why you'd want to keep these wee cars or what's so good about them! I would never swap it for a new car! They just don't have the same characteristics as a wee b!!

As always good for a chat Nath!
Take it easy and I'll try to keep the thread going and corsa-b.uk alive!

Good man,
Rían P
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

Ahhh yeah I couldn't believe how well it cleaned up myself would like another hour or so at it though before it goes in. Yeah k would definetly. Check them out lad because when mine was leaking I thought it was from the sumo because it was directly below it but when I actually got it in the air and followed the oil path it was higher up, it's crazy where the oil can travel to especially when your driving and it's all getting flung about.

Haha your right there mate it's never one problem one week and then another a month or so later it's all in one go :meh:

Your exactly right mate they do have character, plus between me and my missus we've had the B nearly 6 years so it's that aswell which makes me not wanna see it die

Only thing now is though like out of haste I started selling bits so got no rear seats now, however I'm thinking of false flooring the whole back out and putting my speakers in the rear cards for that, fully black the back windows out and kinda have it as a corsa B van something on them lines, I know it maybe doesn't sound the best but the picture I've got in my head for it will look smart, my reasons for it though are that like, I only ever have / people in the car at a time anyway, I go fishing quiet a bit with my dad and always just throwing stuff in the back of the family car and I don't wanna wreck that coz it's more costly to repair than the corsa. Hopefully be able to get started on the floor soon and I'll get my project log updated its been a while
Speak soon dude
Nath
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Hmm fair enough a corsa van would be handy Nath, definitely more practical, though I like your wee motor in its current style! I think it'd be a shame to turn it into a van, but that's just my opinion!

You could always source a combo!
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

Yeah I get what your saying mate, your right it would be its maybe just me in my moment of madness haha I would love a combo van, I love diggerholes project log he's doing an ace job of that van
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Haha we all have them! But at the end of the day, it's your motor, do with it what you please!

And right enough his wee van is clean!
Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

Hi everyone!

So I’m back with a bit of an update. I must admit, I have to be the most unreliable updater on here haha it really is poor commitment but it’s just finding the time to actually upload the photos! Anyway, the corsa is still trodding along, albeit sill with th oil leak and possible HG problems. Recently, on a trip to the city, which is about 45-60 minute drive, on the way home, my oil light started to flicker. At low revs it was on constant, but at higher revs >2500, it went off/flickered. So I pulled in at a roadside petrol station, to let her cool for a minute, but it made no difference. So cautiously driving home, I looked it up online, which explained low oil pressure, and it pointed to two things: an oil pump failure or a faulty oil pressure switch. I knew the oil level was fine as I dipped it the day before, and so it seemed an oil pressure switch was the problem (apparently common problem in corsas). So £5 later, a new part was fitted and gladly no more oil light! Pics to follow!

To wrap up this intro, I’ll be heading off to Uni soon, and so do want to keep this thread going, even if it’s really slow!

This ‘ressurection’ update, is about the fanblades that I’m refurbing. As you can see, they’re pretty bad and really need to go down to bare metal. Obviously not well cared for in their previous ownership.

Clear that this staining is pretty bad from baked on break dust. So I tried a drop of ValetPro Dragon’s Breath to soften it, and although it shifted some more of it, this stuff really wasn’t going anywhere. But remember, these alloys could be at least 20+ years old, and so what do you expect!

After about 5mins

After about 10mins

I mean it’s shfted a bit but this really was stubborn

What we’re dealing with

Decided to buy a cheap drill from Argos (£14) to use as sanding by hand was really too slow.

The drill with wire brush attachment made light work of it, taking it down to bare metal very quickly and easily.

Bad corrosion round the seal which would probably cause air to leak eventually

And gone!

Front is in etch primer, but will need sanded again in places due to bits of corrosion missed originally a few months ago

Good wee 50/50

Just giving this a quick rub with a wire brush to clean it up a bit

Well that should do for the mean time! I’ve a bit more done than what I’ve photographed here, I was just kinda trudging on to try and get them done. So eg I’ve sanded the valve holes, lug nut hole, and rear face where all the black staining is. I’ve sanded some of 3 wheels, with one yet to touch. I will say though that the drill was such a buy, don’t know why I didn’t pick one up at the very start.

Oh and also, I recently corrected the paint using the Rupes System which was absolutely class, so stay tuned and I’ll try and get yous up to date with that.

Thanks again everyone, all comments welcome and hopefully yous are enjoying this, albeit drawn out.
Take care,
Rían P
scorpiotn1
CB-Uk User

Post by scorpiotn1 »

good work
"I mod for the plesure... Not to drive ignorantly"
Garage: - 1999 Corsa B GSI Rep - 2010 Toyota Auris SR