Rear Speakers Tutorial

Post anything electrical or ICE here. ie, upgrading your stereo, or removing looms etc.

Moderator: Octane2097

inliner_04
CB-Uk User

Rear Speakers Tutorial

Post by inliner_04 »

If your car did not come with rear speakers then there is a 99% chance that there is no wiring for it. It is very simple to wire up yourself though.
You will need, wire cutters/knife , wire strippers, connector blocks, torx screwdriver and a small flathead screwdriver.

- Take out the loom that connects the Corsa loom to your head unit. It is important that you carry out all work on the head unit loom and not the factory loom because the head unit loom can be easily replaced for a few pounds, but if any mistakes are made on the factory loom then it will be very difficult to rectify.

- Get out your head unit manual and find the wiring diagram for the loom. For my pioneer this was not in the normal manual, but in the installation manual.

- Find out which wires are Rear Right Positive, Rear Right Negative, Rear Left Positive and Rear Left Negative. On my pioneer they were as follows:
Green - Rear Left +ve
Green/black - Rear Left -ve
Violet - Rear Right +ve
Violet/black - Rear Right -ve This was only on my pioneer deh-p6000ub and might differ on other brands of head units.

- You then need to cut each of these wires roughly in the middle and strip the insulation from the pieces of wire that will be coming from the head unit.

- For each piece of wire, twist the strands together and screw it into a connector block with the small flathead screwdriver. I used one block of four for each left and right. Make sure that each wire is not connected to anything at the moment. Connect the +ve and -ve next to each other, not to each other. (i know it sounds simple but this is what a friend of mine tried to do). Connector blocks are a much better idea than the old "twist and tape" connections. They will give a much better connection and if you do it properly then they wont come apart.

- in the opposite side of the connector block you need to put the speaker wire that you will be running down the side of the car. Generally speaker wire has a marking down one side so that you know which side you are using as +ve and -ve, make sure you remember this. Do the same as you did before, strip back a centimeter or so, and twist the strands, then screw it into the block.

- then you can feed the wire into the dash where the head unit will go. Generally it is better to run this wire down the drivers side of the car, as there is no wiring on this side and it will reduce interference. You can run the wire with cable ties along the metal bar that reinforces the area under the steering wheel. then take up the door sills which are held on by torx screws.

- run both wires together and they should come out either from the boot trim, or from the rear cards by your rear bench depending on how much patience you have. Then you can wire them to your speakers. Either crimp some spade connectors on, or if they came ready crimped then just slide them on.

- now plug the head unit loom back into the factory corsa loom, slide your head unit back in, plugging in the loom in the process.

Fitting rear speakers is relatively simple, you will need a permanent marker, a screwdriver, a drill and a jigsaw.

- Take the cutout template that came with your speakers

- draw round it onto your parcel shelf with a permanent marker,

- drill a largish hole in the middle of each pieces to be cut out

- put the jigsaw blade into the hole and cut out the piece of parcel shelf.

- Put the speaker in the hole and find out where the screws to hold it down will need to go and mark them with permanent marker

- remove the speaker and drill the holes smaller than the thread of the screws.

- put the speaker back in the hole, and screw it down.
scotsvampyr
CB-Uk Newbie

Re: Rear Speakers Tutorial

Post by scotsvampyr »

hi inliner 04 now i aint trying to bump this post i have got a v plate corsa 99 very bog standard with no rear speakers i am going to use you're very helpful guide but what speaker cable would be best for this job , just normal around the house speaker cable or some heavy duty speaker cable, as i dont think you said in the guide

cheers william
A85 one of the best roads in scotland , driving a arden blue envoy , keep an eye on it in project logs

i.c.e dont have a clue but i will get a nice setup if it kills me
Lacey_Corsa
CB-Uk User

Post by Lacey_Corsa »

i used some Vibe flat speaker cable for mine. nothing worse than buying good speakers then ruining it with crap speaker cable

"FLATFLEX™ High Definition speaker cable" is the actual name for it

brilliant stuff to work with....comes with the VIBE 4/0AWG amp wiring kits off ebay/halfrauds
--- LACEY'S CORSA TO DO SIG ---
1. Front and Rear Lights - black Angel and smoked *DONE*
2. Exhaust *DONE* - Centre Exhaust wanted
3. Colour Coding Interior Parts - *DONE*
4. New Spoiler and Side Skirts *started*
5. Window Tint all round *DONE*
09+greenj
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by 09+greenj »

Hi,

Just wondering because i haven't got a clue, is connecting the speaker wires to the head unit using connector blocks safe, like if i took it to a profession would they do it like this?

Thanks