HELP! I GOT AN OIL LEAK!

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

PaulW
Administrator

HELP! I GOT AN OIL LEAK!

Post by PaulW »

dont worry about it m8 its not going to fail your MOT & is common on cork gaskets...

literally is a 5-min job to fix, there are 8 bolts ontop of the rocker cover, just undo those, remove the breather hose & vacuum hose, then just remove the rocker cover. If it wont budge, just give it a gentle tap with a mallet or something.

then clean both surfaces, use a paper towel to dry up any excess oil & then something like a scrubbing pad from the kitchen (the green ones with sponge oneside & rough edge the other) and just use a slight bit of warm soapy water to help break down & remove any stuck on gasket.

then pop a new gasket in place, it should be held in place by little aligning nipples coming up from the cam housing & then put on rocker cover...

tighten the bolts from the inside-out & not from left to right or right to left, or it will warp the gasket & then re-attach the hoses

job done! the gasket will self-seal after a few miles (basically when the engine gets hot) but it will leak again after some time.

You can replace the cam housing & rocker cover to take the rubber gaskets from vaux from later-spec 8v engines, but main issue is you need to get one which has a distrobutor & not a coil pack, but if I remember rightly my local vaux quoted me about £90 or something around 3 years ago for new parts to do this!
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam:
PaulW
Administrator

HELP! I GOT AN OIL LEAK!

Post by PaulW »

it will come back

cork gaskets are utter crap!

best trying to get a later-spec rocker cover with a rubber gasket from vaux.
All the above comments are deemed an opinion, and in most cases :spam: