Corsa B Rear Wheel Bearing torque settings explained

Help and advice section for technical questions on your Corsa.
Please check that your query hasn't already been answered in FAQ and Technical Info section.

Moderator: Octane2097

blaney5
CB-Uk Newbie

Corsa B Rear Wheel Bearing torque settings explained

Post by blaney5 »

Hi,

I have changed the rear wheel bearings on my corsa b 1.2 N reg far to many times. :( I don't no if I am fitting them wrong. I was told 25nm torque and then loosen to nearest split pin hole. I have never got a definite answer about the torque setting from looking on the net and don't have a Haynes manual.

I was also told that the toothed washer should move slightly?

I also have a set of astra 15 inch rims on with 195/75/15 tyres could this extra weight be a factor?

Any Help would be appreciated. :)

Cheers
-Dreamdancer-
CB-Uk Newbie

Re: Corsa B Rear Wheel Bearing torque settings explained

Post by -Dreamdancer- »

take a screwdriver an move the washer up and down. If the washer moves slightly without any strength, it will be right. You need a little bit of fine feeling for it.

To control it, take on the wheels and wiggle on the botttom of the wheel. There must be a small play in the bearing, not much, but a little bit :)

Sorry for my english, but i'm german :)

Dave
PRICER
CB-Uk User

Post by PRICER »

yea -dreamdancer- is right, theirs loads of different ways of doing it, what i do to set the rear wheel bearings is just spin it up to the bearing then few turns so its tight on the bearing, few turns of the hub then to settle the bearings, then loosen the nut off, and just nip it up with a spanner so its just touching the bearing but not as tight as it was when you did before (just now)
TURBO LAG IS JUST FOREPLAY ;)

2.0 16v GSI SPORT TWIN WEBER 45'S AND KENT CAMS :]
blaney5
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by blaney5 »

Thanks for the reply guys, With your help i have finally got finally got it sorted and the otherwise reliable Corsa is faultless again!

1. So after installing the new race(s) i packed both bearings with loads of grease.
2. Installed the inner bearing and pressed the seal into place.
3. Pushed the drum back on the rear hub.
4. Inserted the outer bearing into place and lined up the toothed washer.
5. I then tightened the hub nut up to 25nm with my torque wrench to settle the bearing, at the same time i spun the drum around to make sure the bearings sat right.
6. I then loosened the hub nut off again till i could move it with my fingers
7. Tighted it back up so it was 'finger tight' (basically pushed down on bar with a couple of fingers)
8. With a small flat screw driver I checked if I could move the toothed washes with slight force, (loosened to tightened the hub nut as required)
9. Loosened or tightened the hub nut to find the nearest split pin hole, but ensured the toothed washer could still be moved

10. Put the wheel back on and ran in for a few miles. (10/20)

11. checked if the tooth washer could still be moved/was not to loose.
12. Working perfectly.

Hope this can help someone as it help me

Cheers.