The law and drive ways

General Banter & Off-Topic chat.
breathecosse
CB-Uk User

Re: The law and drive ways

Post by breathecosse »

When faced with this situation, many homeowners brandish a copy of the Highway Code which in paragraph 243 requests that motorists "DO NOT PARK in front of an entrance to a property".

However, if they take things further and report the offender to the police - it comes surprise to find out that it isn't actually illegal for a motorist to park in front of a private driveway, despite what you think the Highway Code is saying. The important thing to pay attention to is the language used in the rulings. If 'Do not' is used, then this is advisory and should be followed - but there is no legal comeback if a motorist chooses to ignore it. However, if the rule states 'Must not' then this is a legal requirement and the driver must therefore obey it or if caught or reported, face legal action.

So, ultimately, this is down to a question of courtesy and respect. As you are not backed up by law.
It does seem incredibly unfair that someone can do this when you have forked out for a home with somewhere safe to park your car off the road - and if you are blocked ONTO your drive, then you might find a kind police officer who will make enquiries for you, contact the owner and ask them to move their vehicle. However the police are not bound to act as according to the Highway Code every driver has a right to park anywhere on a public highway except those places which are expressly forbidden.
Barraclough wrote:Iv dug my Highway Code out and it says do not park infront of an entrance of a property. All the time not only if there's a car on it. How would the person know if there's a car in say a garage.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

What if you nail a sign at the entrance to your drive saying parking prohibited or something along those lines, does that make it illegal?

Also surly it is against the law to block a private entrance, like it's a "private" entrance, it's like blocking a loading bay is it not
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Find something that isn't illegal but extremley inconvenient for him and do it everytime lol. Like parking super close to him so hes blocked in and has to ask you to move everytime lol.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

Next time he does it block him in. Your car on one bumper and if you missus has a car hers on the other bumper if not use the bin or a mates car. Or just get nasty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Corsa weapon A.K.A the Scooby Killer ;)
Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Post by Barraclough »

mbonner02 wrote:Next time he does it block him in. Your car on one bumper and if you missus has a car hers on the other bumper if not use the bin or a mates car. Or just get nasty!

That was my plan but we only have 1 car haha
mbonner02
CB-Uk User

Post by mbonner02 »

Barraclough wrote:
mbonner02 wrote:Next time he does it block him in. Your car on one bumper and if you missus has a car hers on the other bumper if not use the bin or a mates car. Or just get nasty!

That was my plan but we only have 1 car haha
Use your car and your bin? Or just go and tell him to stop blocking your drive. Personally I would of told him the first time he done it hen if he did it again he'd have no tyres, again, no windows, one more time and I'd get the hing dragged away! Just tell him

Corsa weapon A.K.A the Scooby Killer ;)