Hi!

Post a little about yourself & also about your car(s) in here!
MrVinz
CB-Uk Newbie

Hi!

Post by MrVinz »

Hi there!

I've just posted a few questions in a different subforum so I'll do the polite thing and introduce myself here ;-)

My name is Vincent and I live in Amsterdam, NL. I bought a 1999 Corsa last Monday, on the cheap coz most of my budget goes to my '73 Mustang. I like mechanics and electronics though so I'd like to maintain the cars myself as much as I can. By now I've learned a lot about the 5.7L V8 in the 'stang but I haven't seen the X14XE before. I'm hoping to find enough info here to get me up to speed with my little Corsa.

Here's a few pics.

Corsa:

1973 Mustang Grande:

Cheers,
Vincent.
johnny
Senior Moderator

Re: Hi!

Post by johnny »

Welcome along mate :)

Corsa looks very clean the X14xe is a cracking engine and are good for 130 bhp without spending loads on it

I have to ask though, what's the appeal in a mustang, a 68 fastback I get because Steve mcqueen drove one and that's cool as but I don't get it with any other models, correct me if I'm wrong and I don't want to be rude but there massive, really heavy, slow and handle like a shopping trolley [emoji38] the 68 is the same but it's the bullet car so I forgive it
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
stanc3w0rks
CB-Uk User

Post by stanc3w0rks »

Dude, just look at it :O it's amazing. All it needs is a Corsa-B UK sticker on it [emoji14] haha

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I think it looks daft, all American "muscle"(I've seen them crash there's nothing muscly about them) they all have these bonnets that are 5 foot long and there's no style to it

I feel bad saying this about your mustang it's not personal towards your mustang it's to the whole American muscle scene, and there probably saying the same thing about me in a small 4 cylinder hatchback
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
MrVinz
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by MrVinz »

johnny wrote:Corsa looks very clean the X14xe is a cracking engine and are good for 130 bhp without spending loads on it
Thanks, it does 90hp as it is and I think it's sufficient.
johnny wrote:I have to ask though, what's the appeal in a mustang, a 68 fastback I get because Steve mcqueen drove one and that's cool as but I don't get it with any other models, correct me if I'm wrong and I don't want to be rude but there massive, really heavy, slow and handle like a shopping trolley [emoji38] the 68 is the same but it's the bullet car so I forgive it
The appeal lies in the looks, the sound, the way they drive and handle, basically it's got a hell of a lot of something called "character", a thing often missing in more modern cars. They are not neccesarily slow and I don't see a 1973 Opel out-performing a 1973 Mustang easily. Ot it could be I just really dig oversized shopping trolleys ;-)
johnny wrote:I think it looks daft, all American "muscle"(I've seen them crash there's nothing muscly about them) they all have these bonnets that are 5 foot long and there's no style to it
I feel bad saying this about your mustang it's not personal towards your mustang it's to the whole American muscle scene, and there probably saying the same thing about me in a small 4 cylinder hatchback
I wonder how a 1973 Opel crashes. Think it will stay in one piece more often? The "muscle" is under that 5 foot bonnet.

And you know, "style" is just a matter of opinion really. I'm glad I'm able to enjoy both the Mustang AND the Corsa :-)
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I don't think I'd want to be in 73 American or European car when it crashed Tbf [emoji38] so you definitely have a point there

The gt would give it a run for its money, now my calculations are rough and figures arnt exact but the gt had a 2.0 or maybe a 1.9 with just over 100 bhp and weighed less than a ton

Your mustang has 150-200 so I spilt it and worked out for 175 bhp and it weighs somewhere in the 1.6 ton range

So both cars roughly have 110 bhp per metric ton

Yeah styling is weird obviously different strokes for different folks
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
andy w
CB-Uk User

Post by andy w »

Hi and welcome mrvinz nice cars and the opel manta looked very simular to ya mustang but imo if ya like it go with it but im not a mustang fan but is nice tho a guy owns one bu me the same shape think his was a mac one or summit like that. But if I were going muscle I would go for a chevvy or plymouth
If it ain't green and black send it back :D
MrVinz
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by MrVinz »

I do like the Manta (and Monza) but prefer comparing it with a Capri which are also very nice cars.

Chevy, Plymouth, Dodge, Olds, Pontiac... All great brands with great cars.