Motorbike Thread

Automotive topics & discussion.
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Re: Motorbike Thread

Post by EthanKing »

will you remove the restrictor from the SV? I wanted a 2006 r6 tail but too hard to get for decent money :( got the carbs cleared out in the cb yesterday aaaaaand they're blocked again :lol: bike needs to be taken off the road for a week to sort it out properly but I just dont have the time or any other way to work. it's topping out at 120km/h when blocked :(
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

They are mate I agree there silly money for an r6 tail, I found the fibreglass race ones where cheaper and that way you make your own fresh mounts then. Well it's currently not restricted and part of me doesn't want to do it but I just have this little voice in my head (mainly the missus hahaha) saying remember what happened to your mate, he got 5 year ban and 6 months tag after crashing his bike and it not being restricted for his licence type he was menna be 33bhp and the bike was 90 so he got fooooooked for it like so that's what's making me think just do it, especially because if always wanted and sv and if I ever got it took of as or banned I'd be devastated. I'm gonna do my A test this year anyway so won't be on for ages. I've tried limiting myself to like full throttle and stuff so as not to miss the power but when I get out with the boys and there doing 130 down the military straight it's hard not too yourself hahaha.

I remember when I was having carb trouble with the gs500 mate I had to do the same I took the carbs off and they were all orange inside the bowls and jets, I ended up putting new fuel lines in and a filter between the lines and carbs, just them inline fuel filters. Because according to my mate with older bikes what tends to happen is the tank gets rusty inside if the bikes been sat with low fuel in for a long time and causes condensation build up in the tank eventually causing it to rust and all that crap gets through yhe lines and blocks all the carbs up so I would start there mate mine used to totally shut the carb of at about 80mph and I had to back on and let it settle and carry on it was a pain in the arse, is 120kph about the same as 80??
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

So I changed the oil in the forks, the old stuff was goosed, really black and horrible looking, no wonder the front end was so soft it was like water hahahaha, but a million times better, also put the restrictor kit in which I'm not overly happy to be honest but keeps it legal, took it out for a test and only got it Upto 105 and on the same bit of road same time frame I've had it Upto 120 so it has restricted it a bit to be fare, still gets there quickly though and runs smooth and stuff so I can live with it for now I think. Any progress with the CB mate
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by EthanKing »

You might be better off keeping it restricted then mate. I cleaned out my carbs and it seems to be running much much better now. couldn't have a proper test ride as I was drinking while cleaning the carbs so will know tomorrow. I have a fuel filter there to be fitted but forgot to get jubilee clips :meh: I was getting worried that I would have to take the gsxr to work tuesday with no rear brake lol. I'm hoping the CB is done now so that I can get working in the slingshot and streetfight that B**ch :D really wanna see some pics of that SV of yours. Did ya fit the restrictor youself or did it have to be done by a certified mechanic?
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

Yeah your right mate, like I wanna keep it right for insurance plus it stops me loosing my licence aswell haha, ahh glad to hear it dude :D yeah I think the fuel filter will be a massive help because (if it's a clear one) least you'll be able to see if any crap is going into the carbs by the colour of filter, I changed all my lines for clear ones too just to be extra safe haha. Bloody hell that would of been ropey on the gsxr with no back brake :lol: I remember when the gs had no front brake and that was some arse twitching moments!! The gsxr has a lot of potential to be a good fighter!! Them types of bikes do there's loads of mods to do to them. Keeping my eye for some pictures of that posted too lad :D yeah I need to get some up Johnny told me the way to do it so gonna have a go and put some up tomorrow it was easy with Tapatalk haha.

I got like a cover letter with the kit and the insurance letter of course for proof of restriction and it says it's totally fine to fit DIY as long as your boy using the bike for tests or training if you are then you need a certified mechanic to sign it off, so just done it myself was actually a lot easier than I though, my Pa-in-law gave me a hand like by keeping the carbs out the way and stuff which saved a big job of completely removing them
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by EthanKing »

Bust the rad on my CB yesterday :lol: stuck in some radweld and it seems to have worked, happy days! over here restrictors have to be fitted by a mechanic, the crowd that done the CB charged 400quid to the previous owner for basically 2 washers and a cert :lol: not much time recently to touch the gsxr but have a bit if a plan going for the seat and subframe.
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

Oh man no way :shock: least youve sorted it though Radweld works wonders :D. Bloody hell 400 quid that's steep, like you say all it is is 2 washers and a piece of paper :lol: least you haven't had to pay that mate.
I phoned the insurance company to tell them that it was now restricted and they just said that's no problem because they assumed it would be with me having a restricted license (A2) and that I was to just keep the eryifivate safe somewhere and they don't need proof....fare enough.
Ahh kool man I can't wait to see the finished product for the gsxr I love street fighter bikes.
Just ordered a custom grille for the sv the other day company called mikes grilles does them it's like really fine mesh finished in anodised gold with a black beading trim around they look the part when there on, had one for my fzr
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by EthanKing »

So they insured ya on the bike without even asking was it restricted? :lol: saying that I didnt need to prove mines restricted either. Git a set if bridgestones ordered for the CB 8)
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

:) Yeah Ano haha I thought that was a bit bizarre n all for all they know I could be lying about it you know, never mind though least it's all legal now :)

Ooo a pair?? What kinda compound you go for on them??
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by EthanKing »

yeah needed a pair because the front is nearly gone and while the rear has plenty of thread it's not a grippy tyre and has a big commuters track in the middle so I can feel it trying to stand me up in bends. going for bridgestone battle-axe bt045's
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

In the whole time of riding bikes, I've strangely never replaced a front tyre yet haha, maybe I'm not going hard enough :lol: yeah that's no good having that for the back tyre I've had a couple like that myself like you say it's just with being back and forward to work on straight round with no twist and stuff so just squares them off...may aswell be car tyres haha.

Battlax's are a very good tyre I've only ever had 1 and it was brilliant my mate though it's all he gets he loves them
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by EthanKing »

I'd say this is an original front tyre lol. yeah the bt45 is meant to be the only tyre for the CB. if you can get Dunlop Qualifiers for the SV they are a proper sticky tyre! I will probably fit my tyres tomorrow evening after work (perks of being a tyre fitter) and let you know how I find them. dreading the price of them as our supplier told me they are the dearest road tyre in that size lol.
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

Ahhh right, I'll have to bare that in mind because I normally get a spare set of wheels and get some nice sticky summer tyres and then use like michellin pilots for the winter a good winter trye gets rid of loads of rain and stuff and there not overly dear. I know it's maybe a bit much having a spare set of tyres but, least I can get some decent summer tyres and then not wreck them in the winter :)

Yeah that's definitely a bonus of being a tyre fitter mate, it's something I wish I new how to do because would save so much time and hassle getting someone to do it for as. Yeah I do believe there not the cheapest of tyres but will you get a bit of discount from your supplier on them?? Hope they work well for you pal,

Off on a ride out today to a place called Devils bridge, big biker spot, I'll get some pics and try upload them
EthanKing
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by EthanKing »

second set of wheels would be handy. ya got any plans for the sv or leave it standard?
Nathcarr91
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Nathcarr91 »

I keep having ideas of what I'd love to do to it but then I look at it and it's completely standard eh and in really good clean condition and it pains me to start messing with it haha, normally the first thing I do is change the indicators for smaller ones and these standard ones are bulky but it just works with the whole bike eh so I really don't know, I'd love to change the can but think I like that I can start it up in my back garden and leave it running and it won't wake my daughter up when I start early just stuff like that that makes me wanna keep it as is.

If I do change stuff I'd wanna do twin pipes, tail tidy, rear seat cowl, belly pan, maybe a double bubble screen, not that I've thought about it much haha