Any ideas

Automotive topics & discussion.
Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Any ideas

Post by Barraclough »

Anybody have any ideas to clear this mark?

I tried heat, sticky stuff remover, scratch remover and t cut.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Re: Any ideas

Post by nathcarr »

Get some 2000 wet and dry a 3m rubber block and flat it down and it will disappear then just polish it up with some compound polish on a machine polisher if you have one off not by hand it is just be careful not to flat to far as you will brake through the lacquer and will have to re paint, that's what I would do any way bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Post by Barraclough »

Yeah I got a polisher given to me today but don't think il risk that method in case I mess it up haha
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Hahaha yeah that's fare enough mate I don't blame you can end up costing more, any local body shops near you because they should be able to get rid off it using the method I just told you about

Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Post by Barraclough »

Shall ask about it, hoping to get some rust treated to on my rear arch.
Barraclough
CB-Uk User

Post by Barraclough »

nathcarr wrote:Get some 2000 wet and dry a 3m rubber block and flat it down and it will disappear then just polish it up with some compound polish on a machine polisher if you have one off not by hand it is just be careful not to flat to far as you will brake through the lacquer and will have to re paint, that's what I would do any way bud

Going halfords in the morning for these bits and going for it, probably won't be till Sunday/ Monday till I get time to do it. Do you have any tips to stop me screwing it up? Was speaking to the neighbours son earlier on and he suggested the exact same. My last resort after trying; sticky stuff remover, scratch remover, t cut, t cut scratch pen, wd 40, white spirit and nail vanish remover!
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Hey bud, yeah this is probably the best way to get rid of that griffin mark. The best thing I can recommend is when using the wet and dry keep it soaked all the time get a little spray bottle and fill it with water keep the panel wet where your flatting and keep the wet and dry wet as well remember nothing less than 2000 grit otherwise you will be through to primer in no time. If you can get higher than that by all means get that will just take longer. Apply very light pressure, and just keep wiping it to check you haven't broke through. So to some up. Wet it, flat it, dry it, and then check it, you'll see it disappearing when you dry it. Also don't just flat one way try and flat in like a cross hatch Sylr if this makes sense because if you flat one way you'll get scratch marks all going the same way and there harder to polish up. Hope this helps buddy. (Ps if your going to halfords, I think they sell 3m compound it's in a black bottle with a green top, if not try and get some farecla g3)

Rían P
CB-Uk User

Post by Rían P »

To me it looks like residue from the sticker or is it a scratch? If you are going to Halfords you could try Meguiars ultimate compound. Try a compound first if you're not comfortable with Sandpaper. In detailing, always start with the least aggressive method possible. You might find that Megs UC will take it right out without beeding sanded, however if it doesn't well, Nath has you sorted with how to sand.

Megs UC is a compiund that is safe on clearcoat and won't scour surfaces like T-Cut. I have UC here and it's not complicated it use. It may take a bit of effort but once applied and worked well into the surface, buff straight off with a clean microfibre, don't what ever you do let it dry or you'll have arms like popeye.
If you want to refine it afterwards with products from Halfords, you could try Meguiars polish. I haven't used it but should be fine.

Hope this helps,
Rían P