Gearbox confusion??

Automotive topics & discussion.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Gearbox confusion??

Post by nathcarr »

Hi guys
Can anyone tell me which gearbox the x10xe engine uses?? Is it the same box as the x16xe or are they different??

The only reason I ask is that I'm thinking of changing engines and found a x16xe on eBay but doesn't have a gearbox

Any info is appreciated,
Cheers all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coupe77
CB-Uk User

Re: Gearbox confusion??

Post by coupe77 »

If you look on the box around the selector you should see it stamped on the box casing
The 1.6 uses the f13 not 100% on the 1.0 box have a look on the Internet

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeacotts-motors/611022572351820
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

coupe77 wrote:If you look on the box around the selector you should see it stamped on the box casing
The 1.6 uses the f13 not 100% on the 1.0 box have a look on the Internet

Spot on cheers mate will have a look [emoji106]

Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

F10 box if I remember right
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I think it's the F10 aswel but the F10 bolts on to all the small block ecotecs and it should give a fair bit more torque and low down power but it sacrifices top end and top speed but a cam will regain the top end and the the F10 spins to about 110mph which is plenty unless your going for drag times
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Saw a few F10 box and flattened lightened flywheel on x16s
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:I think it's the F10 aswel but the F10 bolts on to all the small block ecotecs and it should give a fair bit more torque and low down power but it sacrifices top end and top speed but a cam will regain the top end and the the F10 spins to about 110mph which is plenty unless your going for drag times
110 mph will do me no bother mate struggle to get to 95 sometimes haha, thanks for the Info mate so I can bolt my box into a small block Ecotec that's spot on! How do you get on with bigger brakes which ones could I get to upgrade them to with having that extra power once I do the swap

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

2 ltr brakes are the standard tried and tested upgrade, need at least 15 inch wheels to fit over them

There's plenty of other options but they can be pricey
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

Can put sport/gsi on if you want to have sport or gsi wheels.

Like Johnny said though 2ltr is what a lot of people go for.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Spot cheers guys thanks for your info will have a look into it all [emoji4] might be changing the engine to a Saab b204 now my mate has one sat in his garage he's just took out of his 93 aero so could get that cheap off him if I wanted to put that in........ Decisions decisions haha

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Saab turbo is a lot of work, you'll need to upgrade suspension so it can deal with the weight and chassis strengthening, probably need a new fuel pump aswel
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Gearbox confusion??

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:Saab turbo is a lot of work, you'll need to upgrade suspension so it can deal with the weight and chassis strengthening, probably need a new fuel pump aswel
Hmmmm... See what you mean mate is it easier to do the red top conversion than the Saab one I know I'd still need to upgrade the suspension and chassis with both but which is easier in your opinion, I have noticed that you can get hold off the c20xe engine mounts a lot easier than you can get the Saab engine mounts, the only reason I thought about the Saab turbo was I can get the engine and box off my mate for painting his bonnet haha

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

The c20xe is a lot easier, you can buy everything for the conversion

But saab turbo is way cooler and gains you 3 internets :thumbs:

I've helped doing a saab turbo, project was scrapped before engine went in but we made the mounts from the saab turbo mounts and just welded them in with abit of "customising" [emoji38]
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:The c20xe is a lot easier, you can buy everything for the conversion

But saab turbo is way cooler and gains you 3 internets :thumbs:

I've helped doing a saab turbo, project was scrapped before engine went in but we made the mounts from the saab turbo mounts and just welded them in with abit of "customising" [emoji38]
Yeah I do like the look of the Saab turbo when she's all in place and painted up n chrome parts on looks mint, plus everyone does a Redtop that's another reason I thought Saab turbo, a lot to think about before I jump straight into it, can do both at work no problem have all the tools there to make either fit like you say it's just the time part of it and the customising. Will research further haha [emoji41][emoji106]