How many miles to a tank, 1.4 sport

Automotive topics & discussion.
Volvomeg
CB-Uk Newbie

How many miles to a tank, 1.4 sport

Post by Volvomeg »

Was filling car up again tonight and was thinking its actually not much better on fuel than my octavia VRS used to be and that thing had 220 horses under bonnet and i used them quiet regularly,

Standard 1.4 sport with decat as cat on car fell to bits so smashed rest of it out, get 300 miles to a tank from full to well into red,

About normal????

I know its decatted but boy does exhaust smell like its running rich all time as in when am sat in traffic i can smell it with window down, no codes in it and no lights on and i don't exactly potter about,

I carn't remember what my old white one did years ago but i know that used to go like stink compaired to this one
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Re: How many miles to a tank, 1.4 sport

Post by Deedee91 »

I would say check for air leaks.

I had a vacuum hose from the throttle body break it drank the fuel stink of petrol and lost power
Papabren
CB-Uk User

Post by Papabren »

I only get about 220 miles in my 1.4 sport :/ mine has sportex manifold but that can't be right if yours is doing 80 more (Altho my fuel metre seems to lie sometimes lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

It depends on the driving style, 40mpg is average(ish) for a b so even then it only works out at around 350 miles to a tank

Papa you should get more than 220 even driving round like a hoon
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
Spud Murphy
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Spud Murphy »

Iv done a few different tests, got a standard 1.4 LS.

Driving 60 miles to work (40 miles of motorways, and the rest mostly fast country roads and dual carriageways) sitting at a max of 60mph, sitting behind lorries slipstreaming them on the motorways to cut down on drag, changing up early, not accelerating on hills, lifting off on all downhill sections etc etc, managed 53mpg (120 miles for £11.50 if you're interested).

Driving like a nob as fast as possible sitting at 90+ most of the time, ragging it to pieces everywhere, I managed 39mpg (120 miles for £15.50)

I would say you have a problem, Sport or not, I get 300 miles to the point I have 10 litres of petrol left then I fill up, my friends B 1.2 started drinking fuel and I think his oxygen sensor had gone so it was just chucking fuel in and throwing it out the back...
Volvomeg
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by Volvomeg »

I do have a 16xe engine sat in garage at home,

might borrow lambda sensor out of it just to see if it makes a differance,

Already checked it for air leaks with smoke tester at work and repleced split breather pipes and tighten clip on rubber ring round throttle body,

I used to have a 1.4 sport many years ago when i was alot younger and that went went like hell but this one just seems numb
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

You have to take in weight aswell, a couple stone will make a fair difference in performance

A full tank is roughly 5 stone plus anything in the boot

To put it in persecution 33kg extra on a f1 car will cost it a second a lap, it may seem irrelevant but it shows how little weight effects performance

Unrelated but it's also why Hamilton has such an advantage over rosberg, rosberg goes into every race with a car that will be 30 seconds slower over the course of the race, it's also why rosberg is technically faster however unpopular that theory is
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
williamt73
CB-Uk Newbie

Post by williamt73 »

300 - 350 miles from a tank on the 1.4 16v - average 40 mpg if not driving like a knob all of the time. Less if you do.