Electric window conversion

Automotive topics & discussion.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Electric window conversion

Post by nathcarr »

Has any of you guys done a electric window conversion. Was at the scrappy today and there's loads of Bs with electric windows. Would love to put them in mine but unsure of the work involved to swap it from a standard winder. I know how to swap all the parts over but how do you get on with wiring??

Cheers in advance
Nath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coupe77
CB-Uk User

Re: Electric window conversion

Post by coupe77 »

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeacotts-motors/611022572351820
diggerhole
CB-Uk User

Post by diggerhole »

Did it in mine. Not to hard. Just remember 3 door and 5 door are different kits. Combo van has 5 door front doors

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

I did it with an aftermarket kit that you bolt to the door over the cog behind the winder, was very simple I mounted the switch over the hole in the door card

Mighty car mods did a video on them, http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-2-Doo ... nav=SEARCH that's them and this was mine fitted
ImageImage
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:I did it with an aftermarket kit that you bolt to the door over the cog behind the winder, was very simple I mounted the switch over the hole in the door card

Mighty car mods did a video on them, http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-2-Doo ... nav=SEARCH that's them and this was mine fitted
ImageImage
I've just watched the video for doing this the other day Johnny it seems like a really good set up, and the lads made it seem pretty simple to do may have a look into this further [emoji106]

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

It was really simple, I spliced into the cig lighter and ran trough the plug same way as in the other guide, just a small hole it plug but I had to cut the plugs off and crimped them together once I ran the wires through

They weren't overly quick but near the same speed as original motors
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
diggerhole
CB-Uk User

Post by diggerhole »

The cigarette lighter is not a high enough amps. You risk setting fire to the car. I would reccoment 30 amp feed and fuse. #justsaying

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
coupe77
CB-Uk User

Post by coupe77 »

At the back of the fuse box you will see a thick black and red wire tap into the red one or the one to your eps

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeacotts-motors/611022572351820
johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

Surely if it's been running on a 20amp fuse and not blowing or giving any bother for the past year it's plenty

And running it off a higher feed increases the chance of fire because if it's shorting at 25 amps the 30amp fuse won't blow
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
diggerhole
CB-Uk User

Post by diggerhole »

johnny wrote:Surely if it's been running on a 20amp fuse and not blowing or giving any bother for the past year it's plenty

And running it off a higher feed increases the chance of fire because if it's shorting at 25 amps the 30amp fuse won't blow
The fuse is there for the protection of the wire. So my concern is not the fuse size but the wire rating. The wire protected by a 20 amp fuse should be good for 25+ amps. This is so the fuse goes first. Each window is 15 amps so as long as nothing else is running all should be good. The issue is that the wire if running at 19 amps won't blow the fuse but will be getting warm. The insulation slowly breaking down in places behind the dash you will never see. Just remember how hot an extention real gets when wound up. So don't just upgrade the fuse. Bad idea. The windows need a dedicated 30 amp feed with the correct size wiring. On most cars the wires to the doors are in the dash loom. They just need power.

Not sure if I have helped or hindered

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Deedee91
CB-Uk User

Post by Deedee91 »

I built a wiring loom for my doors and behind the dash to link everything, cut some door couplings out of a donor car for the pins, put an aux fuse box in the passenger side and knicked an ignition live from the cigarette lighter. Then changed the winders and actuators for motors and actuators from a donor car. Actually isn't that hard or complicated to do. Get everything together you can do it in a day