Engine conversion - Help please!!

Automotive topics & discussion.
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Engine conversion - Help please!!

Post by nathcarr »

Hi to all corsa b lovers [emoji4] I currently own a 1.0 corsa b and am wanting to do an engine conversion, ideally I would love to do the 2.0 Redtop but would ask so love to put a 1.6gsi into her,

People may think just get a one that's already done but I love the challenge involved plus my b has a very clean body she'll so don't wanna give that up

Could anyone please give me advice about what's needed in the Redtop conversion apart from engine and box, I.e mounting brackets and wiring etc etc

Thanks all look forward to hearing from yous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coupe77
CB-Uk User

Re: Engine conversion - Help please!!

Post by coupe77 »

You want the early Ecu and loom you will need to make drive shafts using the inner and outer cv joints 2.0 hubs and brakes 2.0 engine mounts mixed with the Corsa mounts
Notch the chassis around the alternator 1.6 Corsa rad
Stitch weld the chassis

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeacotts-motors/611022572351820
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

coupe77 wrote:You want the early Ecu and loom you will need to make drive shafts using the inner and outer cv joints 2.0 hubs and brakes 2.0 engine mounts mixed with the Corsa mounts
Notch the chassis around the alternator 1.6 Corsa rad
Stitch weld the chassis

Awesome man thanks a lot [emoji4] just a quick question when you say early ecu and loom what kinda year we talking for that mate??

Thanks a lot

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

You'll get the loom from a corsa sport or interior loom from any 8v corsa and get the engine loom from the donor, 1 liter loom is useless so car needs to completely striped front to back and rewired, it's not hard just time consuming

Ecu has to match the motor so a carb c20xe needs a carb c20xe ecu and a coilpack c20xe needs a coilpack ecu

You'll need a donor car(calibra, cav or gte/gsi astra) being a 1 liter your going to need so much that finding everything individually could take years, buying a donor only leaves mounts and suspension to buy

You'll be in it 50-100 hours of labour, everyone might say you'll do it 20-30 but that's someone who's done it before
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
It needed replacing anyway :thumbs:
coupe77
CB-Uk User

Post by coupe77 »

And with the donor car you will save s fair bit of money
Once you done all that you will need to make up an exhaust
It's a lot of work like said said using the 1.0 as a base

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:You'll get the loom from a corsa sport or interior loom from any 8v corsa and get the engine loom from the donor, 1 liter loom is useless so car needs to completely striped front to back and rewired, it's not hard just time consuming

Ecu has to match the motor so a carb c20xe needs a carb c20xe ecu and a coilpack c20xe needs a coilpack ecu

You'll need a donor car(calibra, cav or gte/gsi astra) being a 1 liter your going to need so much that finding everything individually could take years, buying a donor only leaves mounts and suspension to buy

You'll be in it 50-100 hours of labour, everyone might say you'll do it 20-30 but that's someone who's done it before
Thanks man really helpful info there cheers, I know it seems like a a bit if a pain but like I say don't wanna get rid of the car coz its body underneath is mint, gives as something to do tho through the winter [emoji4]

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

coupe77 wrote:And with the donor car you will save s fair bit of money
Once you done all that you will need to make up an exhaust
It's a lot of work like said said using the 1.0 as a base

Thanks man much appreciated for your info

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Just so I have another option is the 1.6 engine an easier job - and correct me if I'm wrong because it's classed as a small block engine??

coupe77
CB-Uk User

Post by coupe77 »

The 1.6 is easier but tbh it would be cheaper and easier to go out and buy a 1.6 Corsa you still might need to change purr the dash loom as you will need to change the clocks as the the Rev counter won't give a true reading due to one being a 3 cyl and the 1.6 being a 4 cyl

nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

Yeah no worries I get that cheers man

coupe77
CB-Uk User

Post by coupe77 »

Don't know why they made the 1 L with so many odd parts when all the others more or less interchange
Sorry I do its all to do with money lol

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

nathcarr wrote:
johnny wrote:You'll get the loom from a corsa sport or interior loom from any 8v corsa and get the engine loom from the donor, 1 liter loom is useless so car needs to completely striped front to back and rewired, it's not hard just time consuming

Thanks man really helpful info there cheers, I know it seems like a a bit if a pain but like I say don't wanna get rid of the car coz its body underneath is mint, gives as something to do tho through the winter [emoji4]

Solid shells are becoming hard to find anymore and I'm not Tring to put you off doing it , just want to make sure you have all the information before jumping head first into it

The 1.6 will be more or less the same time and difficulty, it's easier because you can use corsa shafts and suspension but everything else still needs changed
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

johnny wrote:
nathcarr wrote:

Solid shells are becoming hard to find anymore and I'm not Tring to put you off doing it , just want to make sure you have all the information before jumping head first into it

The 1.6 will be more or less the same time and difficulty, it's easier because you can use corsa shafts and suspension but everything else still needs changed
Yeah absolutely mate appreciate that like, it's hard to find some good solid info on the web on how to do it so glad you gave me some good info onto it think might be 1.6 road I go down, am I right in saying there's different 1.6 engines i.e a gsi and a 1.6 carb model

Sorry if I'm being a pain with all the questions it's just the engine numbers such and c16xe and all that is new to me so dunno what they mean really hahaha

johnny
Senior Moderator

Post by johnny »

You have a c16xe from the gsi, it's still a coilpack mpi engine it just doesn't have emissions restrictions on it like egr and a cat, ports are different shape as well but only slightly and it's 106hp I think

You also have the X16xe from the corsa sport same engine with a cat and egr makes 104-105hp so there isn't enough in them to hold out for one or the other but given the choice the c16xe is the better of the two
If it doesn't fit,
force it,
If it breaks,
nathcarr
CB-Uk User

Post by nathcarr »

That makes things a whole lot clearer mate thanks so much for your help it's been spot on take it you've had a lot to do with the corsas haha [emoji23]